• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

an instrument of reflexivity

Hi
    Once more Mr.Gormley talking about his work, The Angel of the North, mentions the fact that:"...it's an instrument of reflexivity to make us feel more alive-there's no intrinsic value to art.

Does he mean even if a work of art is not valuable but as it makes us reflect on our lives that's enough? Because previously he mentioned that we deal in a culture of snacking, highly-articulated, highly-hyped, almost predigested experience. He hoped the Angel could make us aware of the time of the day and so on.

Thanks a lot.
    Being a non-native teacher, I'm so thrilled being in such a superb forum.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: an instrument of reflexivity

Quote Originally Posted by moonlike View Post
    Hi
    Once more Mr (no full stop required after Mr) Gormley talking about his work, The Angel of the North, mentions the fact that (no colon required) "... (space required after ellipsis) it's an instrument of reflexivity to make us feel more alive (space required before dash) - (space required after dash) there's no intrinsic value to art."

Does he mean even if a work of art is not valuable but as it makes us reflect on our lives, that's enough? Because previously he mentioned that we deal in a culture of snacking, highly-articulated, highly-hyped, almost pre-digested experience. He hoped the Angel could make us aware of the time of the day and so on.

Thanks a lot.
    I'll be honest, to me it sounds like what is commonly referred to as "art b*llocks". I agree that there is no "intrinsic value to art". Art is worth (in monetary terms) whatever someone is prepared to pay for it. I have seen the Angel of the North. It's impressive because it's huge. It didn't make me feel more alive. I can't say that it made me reflect on my life at all. However, I agree with your interpretation of what he said.

Please note the comments I have made on your post about punctuation, and about the spacing around it.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: an instrument of reflexivity

Quote Originally Posted by moonlike View Post
    Does he mean even if a work of art is not valuable but as it makes us reflect on our lives that's enough?
    How much is a painting worth? Its material costs are a bit of canvas and some paint, and in most cases the frame is the most expensive part. Would his statue be worth more than a great painting because there's a lot of metal used to make it? Yet people pay millions for a painting- the value is not in the materials, but something else, the feelings and thoughts a work of art inspires.
    Last edited by Tdol; 25-Jun-2013 at 15:38. Reason: Ghastly homophone error (it's -> its)