Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think
1.He is certain(sure) to do get the next one =>The speaker or writer is sure that such thing will happen.
2.He is sure of getting the next one =>He(Subject) is sure that such thing will happen.
Considering these, doesn't it have to be corrected to "you'll be sure of getting the next one", which is also confusing, I think this is ill-written. What do you think?

25)“Why” questions can get you reasons, explanations and excuses. But they usually don’t come up with useful and helpful information. Don’t ask your kid why he is having trouble with his math. Ask him what he needs to do to perform better. There’s no need to ask an employee why he didn’t get a contract you were bidding for. Ask him how he can change so you’ll be certain to get the next one. Good communicators aren’t interested in the reason why something is going wrong. They want to find out how to do it right. The right questions will lead you in that direction, and finally solve the problems you are facing.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Maybe my question was too long, and I just want to know if the following works.

He is certain to do get the next one = He is certain that he will get the next one

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The original sentence is correct. And your understanding is correct. You could say "so you'll be certain that you will get the next one," but that is a lot of extra words compared to "so you'll be certain to get the next one."

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.
I'd like to ask a question here.

He is certain to get the next one = He is certain that he will get the next one

Does the above really work?

I thought "He is certain to get the next one." was equal to "It is certain that he will get the next one."

Thank you.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.
I'd like to ask a question here.

Does the above really work?

I thought "He is certain to get the next one." was equal to "It is certain that he will get the next one."

Thank you.

I agree with you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't see that there is any great difference in meaning either way. He is certain or it is certain.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In my view, "it is certain" means certainty exists, irrespective of his thoughts. Whereas, "he is certain" means that he, in himself, is certain. He may be deluded. ;-)

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I've been focusing on who is the subject for "certain" or "sure" for various sentences.
From all of your opinions, I'd like to summarize like this. If something is wrong, please let me know.

1. He is certain to come - suject of certainty = "He"
2. It is certain that he will come - suject of certainty = "writer" or "speaker" not "he"
3. He is sure of coming - suject of certainty - "He", same as "He is sure that he will come"
4. He is sure to come. - suject of certainty = "writer" or "speaker not "he"

Status
Not open for further replies.