• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Lightbulb How to exactly tell "in" from "on",this two prepositions?

I was confused by this 2 prepositions,especially at the time when these describe something on\in the something.Precisely,like “the book on my legs or the book in my legs,the scar on my skin or in my skin and so forth. Miliions of thinks!
    If sth. covers\touches the surface of sth. with on?
    If sth. was contained by sth. with in?

He threw the money back in\on his face?
    Last edited by xuchen hou; 25-Jun-2013 at 19:00.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How to exactly tell "in" from "on",this two prepositions?

Quote Originally Posted by xuchen hou View Post
    I was am confused by this these 2 prepositions, especially at the time when these they describe something on\in the something else. [STRIKE]Precisely[/STRIKE,like For example, “the book on my legs" or "the book in my legs"; "the scar on my skin" or "in my skin" and so forth. Miliions Millions of thinks thanks!
    Please see my amendments to your post above. Remember that you must put a space after a comma.

Are you sure you understand the main meaning of the preposition "in"? It usually means "inside". On that basis, how can you have "books in your legs"?

Be careful with your spelling. Check all the words before you post. I am sure that you know that the word you needed at the end was "thanks", not "thi​nks".

Edit: While I was typing my response, you edited your post and added more at the end. Your understanding is mostly right but it's not an absolute rule. You will find a lot of exceptions. Please use the word "something", not "sth". I know that "sth" appears in dictionaries but they do that because there is not very much space. Here, you should type the complete word.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Think you very much, Moderator. I must check out what i type, before posting. I try to avoid mistakes that i have made as much as possible.
    Should i use "in" or "on" to it? "He threw the money back in\on my face? " Or both are right? Think you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by xuchen hou View Post
    Thank you very much, Moderator. I must check out what I type, before posting. I try to avoid mistakes that I have made as much as possible.

Should I use "in" or "on" to it? "He threw the money back in\on his face? " Or are both are right? Thank you!
    Please stop adding questions to post #1! It is OK to edit a post if it is only a few seconds since you made the post but after people have started to reply, please don't edit it again. It becomes very confusing.

You have not answered what I asked you in post #2 yet. How do you think it is possible to have "books in my legs"?

I have corrected your spelling of the word "Thanks" yet again (twice) in this post. Please do not repeat this error.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.