Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's me again.

Does "an order to take measurements" mean "an order for measurements to be taken"?

By "an order for measurements to be taken" I mean "an order that measurements (should) be taken".

I mean "Someone has ordered measurements to be taken" or "someone has ordered taking of measurements".

Thank you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They mean different things. The first applies if someone wants someone else to measure something. For example A wants B and C to measure rainfall. A issues to B and C an order to take measurements.

You visit a web-page and order a jacket. The person running the business needs to know your measurements (a tailor service might need five or six measurements rather than just a number). They issue an order for measurements to be taken.

(By tweaking the syntax you could make either form fit either scenario. ;-))

b

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I understand from your reply that an order to take measurements applies to taking measurements except tailor(ing), dress making, etc.

An order for measurements to be taken is strictly related to a tailor and tailor's vocabulary.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. The tailor's a red herring. The example seemed to me to fit, but the tailor was an innocent bystander. ;-) 'An order for measurements to be taken' might be issued by a physics teacher telling his/her class to measure- say - a flask of boiling water as it cools, every 5 minutes.

When I said 'they mean different things' I didn't mean that each applies in only one sort of case. The 'different meaning' I was talking about was a change of focus.

b

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Sorry, BobK, I still don't know what you mean by a change of focus in this case. Could you expand on that?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In 'The boy kicks the ball' has a verb in the active voice.
'The ball is kicked by the boy' has a verb in the passive voice.
Same event, different focus. Search for the many other UE posts about the active/passive distinction.

If that's no help, we need the views of another teacher...;-)

b

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Of course, I know what the passive and active voice means. I took care of the boy. The boy was taken care of (by me). The word "passive and active voice" was never mentioned in your posts and I was not smart enough to guess what you mean. To paraphrase your opinion in post 4, the 'different meaning' I was talking about was a change of voice. This brings me to the conclusion that "an order to take measurements" means the same as "an order for measurements to be taken". The only difference is passive and active voice. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.