Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can an adjective describe a verb? In 1, "strong and healthy" describes "grow", and you wouldn't say "grow strongly and healthily". In 2, "carefully" is describing "talked", and you wouldn't say "talk....as careful". So is there a rule to explain 1? Or no rule?

1.I want my kids to grow strong and heathy
2.He talked about her as carefully as he could.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Grow in this sense is a linking verb.

6 a always followed by an adjective [linking verb] : become
▪ He suddenly grew pale. ▪ He had grown tired of hearing about their problems. ▪ She grew fat due to her lack of exercise. ▪ He's worried about growing old. ▪ These diseases are growing more common. ▪ We have grown accustomed to his angry outbursts.
Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I meant "grow" not as "become" but as "grow up to be an adult". In the latter case, does it need "strongly and healthily"?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I meant "grow" not as "become" but as "grow up to be an adult". In the latter case, does it need "strongly and healthily"?

Hello, keannu.
:-D
Well, in my opinion, 'grow strongly' and 'grow healthily' are grammatical.
They are used like these:
114 sentence examples using 'grow strongly'
Use 'grow healthily' in a sentence | 'grow healthily' sentence examples

And one more:
18 sentence examples using 'grow strong and healthy'

So, I came to the conclusion that #1 is natural.
"I want my kids grow strongly and healthily." is not.

I hope I'm not talking nonsense.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

No, it's unnatural. Understand "grow up strong" to mean "grow up (to be) strong.")

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

"Grow" in "I want my kids to grow strong and healthy" (note the spelling of healthy) is a linking verb and it takes an adjective. It means "become".

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
From this passage, did the writer mean "to become strong and healthy" or "to grow(develop a body) strong and healthy"? As tzf said, is the latter correct?

ex1)Japanese believe that the louder babies cry, the more blessing they will receive by getting closer to heaven. Every eyar, people who want their babies to grow strong and healthy take part in this contest.

One more, does this example mean 1 or 2? "Grow up" sometimes feels dubious to me.
ex1) I want my baby to grow up strongly and healthily
1.I want my baby to grow up in the process of becoming strong and healthy(process)
2.I want my baby to grow up and and fianally become strong and healthy(result)

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Strong' and 'healthy' are complements here to an implied copular infinitive, i.e. (as another user has noted) = grow up to be strong and healthy.

Just as a matter of interest, we rarely modify the verb 'grow' with manner adverbs even when, as a non-copular, it means simply 'get bigger'. Thus rather than unnatural

?The tree grew strongly.

we would say, e.g.

The tree thrived.

etc.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Okay, I was mistaken. I thought this "grow" means "get bigger", but it means "become".
And native speakers rarely describe "grow" with the sense of "get bigger" with adverbs, so "The babies grew up healthily" is awkward.

people who want their babies to grow strong and healthy take part in this contest.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Okay, I was mistaken. I thought this "grow" means "get bigger", but it means "become".
And native speakers rarely describe "grow" with the sense of "get bigger" with adverbs, so "The babies grew up healthily" is awkward.

people who want their babies to grow strong and healthy take part in this contest.

I would say that the semantic interpretation of 'grow' here is highly ambiguous, which almost certainly explains how 'grow' came to be a synonym of 'become' in the first place!

Status
Not open for further replies.