What's the common way of referring to gay couples? 'Butch', and 'Camp'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

May I please have the very common adjectives used when talking about a gay couple. I've heard, 'she must be the butch one!'.
I was wondering if the following words refer to both gays and lesbians:

'Butch', 'camp', 'fem', and 'sundance (!)'

(I'd be so thankful if I had some British usage too.)

Thanks

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I hope none of the terms above are offensive! If so, please put it down to my ignorance. I just happened to hear them, and hope nobody takes offence.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's really not politically correct to discuss such matters. That said, I have heard "butch" to describe a lesbian who is more manly than her partner. I have never heard the other terms.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's really not politically correct to discuss such matters. That said, I have heard "butch" to describe a lesbian who is more manly than her partner. I have never heard the other terms.

It's fine to discuss them in Canada. I know that "butch" means the masculine lesbian partner, and "fem" is the lady-like or feminine one.

But I've never heard 'camp' in that context, to me it means a series of tents or in another context something that is not elegant; "Sundance" is the nickname of a character in a Robert Redford movie, and also the name of a famous film festival, but I've never heard it in a gay context. I'll ask one of my openly gay colleagues about it if I see him over the summer (our last day of school was Friday).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Camp" is an adjective used to describe a particularly feminine [gay] man. Actually, now that I've written that, I realise it might be confusing. I don't mean that he looks feminine or looks like a woman. I mean that he has gestures/voice/characteristics that are not very masculine.

Note that I put "gay" in brackets in my first sentence. That's because a heterosexual man can be very camp too. I have a heterosexual male friend who is also probably the campest man I know. Everyone who meets him assumes he's gay but he's not.

Aha! YouTube to the rescue again. This is, as the title suggests, a rather camp man. There is no indication as to whether he is gay or not (and of course, that is immaterial). The Tube - Camp Guy - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.