Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 10
    #1

    befuddled: any difference in meaning by using different tenses in the same context?

    Dear all,

    I am befuddled when I came across the following paragraphs:

    http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/annual/ar10_11/ar10_11.pdf

    on page 36 of the report, it says:

    "During 2010/11 we were engaged in BCBS’s work. Throughout the year, we played an active part in shaping the direction of banking regulatory reform. We supported the delivery of an ambitious agenda of change to the regulatory framework, both domestically and internationally, and we maintained the momentum on international reform, carrying forward work from global bodies and through European Directives."

    However,

    on page 37 of the report, it says:

    "During 2010/11, we have played a key role internationally in shaping and delivering initiatives to improve the supervision of cross-border firms. In particular, we have focused on how to ensure that the different national supervisors of cross-border firms work together effectively through supervisory ‘colleges’ to share information, exchange views on the risks facing the group and how well they are being managed, undertake
    joint supervisory work where appropriate, and to ensure that plans are developed for how to work together in times of crisis."

    Why under the same context, i.e. "During 2010/11", the writer used past tense in the former paragraph, but used present perfect in the latter paragraph? Are the 2 tenses delivering different meanings to readers in this report? Thanks.

    Best Regards,

    Benevolence

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,620
    #2

    Re: befuddled: any difference in meaning by using different tenses in the same contex

    Quote Originally Posted by benevolence View Post
    Dear all,

    I am befuddled when I came across the following paragraphs:

    http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/annual/ar10_11/ar10_11.pdf

    on page 36 of the report, it says:

    "During 2010/11 we were engaged in BCBS’s work. Throughout the year, we played an active part in shaping the direction of banking regulatory reform. We supported the delivery of an ambitious agenda of change to the regulatory framework, both domestically and internationally, and we maintained the momentum on international reform, carrying forward work from global bodies and through European Directives."

    However,

    on page 37 of the report, it says:

    "During 2010/11, we have played a key role internationally in shaping and delivering initiatives to improve the supervision of cross-border firms. In particular, we have focused on how to ensure that the different national supervisors of cross-border firms work together effectively through supervisory ‘colleges’ to share information, exchange views on the risks facing the group and how well they are being managed, undertake
    joint supervisory work where appropriate, and to ensure that plans are developed for how to work together in times of crisis."

    Why under the same context, i.e. "During 2010/11", the writer used past tense in the former paragraph, but used present perfect in the latter paragraph? Are the 2 tenses delivering different meanings to readers in this report? Thanks.

    Best Regards,

    Benevolence
    The present perfect is wrong in that context.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 10
    #3

    Re: befuddled: any difference in meaning by using different tenses in the same contex

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The present perfect is wrong in that context.
    oh...what a surprise..... the editors of the annual report of the UK FSA should be native speakers....

    Btw, if "during 2010/11" is removed. Is it alright to use present perfect in this report? Does the name of the report "annual report 2010/11" already tell readers the context is "during 2010/11"? thx

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,620
    #4

    Re: befuddled: any difference in meaning by using different tenses in the same contex

    Quote Originally Posted by benevolence View Post
    oh...what a surprise..... the editors of the annual report of the UK FSA should be native speakers....

    Btw, if "during 2010/11" is removed. Is it alright to use present perfect in this report? Does the name of the report "annual report 2010/11" already tell readers the context is "during 2010/11"? thx
    Are there not native speakers of Chinese who make mistakes in their writing? Yes, if you remove "during 2010/11", the present perfect is fine.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 10
    #5

    Re: befuddled: any difference in meaning by using different tenses in the same contex

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Are there not native speakers of Chinese who make mistakes in their writing? Yes, if you remove "during 2010/11", the present perfect is fine.
    Does the name of the report "annual report 2010/11" already tell readers the context is "during 2010/11" that only past tense should be used?

    BTW, if
    "during 2010/11" is removed, may "simple present tense" also be used? If yes, will it convey the same meaning as "simple past" and "present prefect"?

    thx

Similar Threads

  1. [General] What is the meaning of 2:1 in this context?
    By mokbon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-May-2012, 09:55
  2. the meaning of it in the context
    By chance22 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Jun-2010, 15:13
  3. Meaning of this context
    By maral55 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2010, 11:24
  4. meaning through context
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2004, 00:34
  5. The meaning of this context.
    By takashi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2004, 10:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •