• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

dismantle

Does "dismantle" carry of the meaning of "gradually reducing power"? I read in a book a phrase which translated dismantle into Chinese as dianfu, litterally meaning "overturn", but without the sense of gradually.

The phrase I came across is something like "dismantle the Axis" after introducing a series of events.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: dismantle

Quote Originally Posted by victor su View Post
    Does "dismantle" carry of the meaning of "gradually reducing power"? I read in a book a phrase which translated dismantle into Chinese as dianfu, litterally meaning "overturn", but without the sense of gradually.

The phrase I came across is something like "dismantle the Axis" after introducing a series of events.

Thanks.
    To dismantle is to take something apart. One can dismantle something quickly or do so over a long time. Dismantle does not carry the same sense that "overturn" does. A better meaning of dismantle is to separate something that is a whole into its component parts.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: dismantle

Thanks for your answer. Now I think I can say that translation can be perfected. I got a better word, wajie, which literally means to take the tiles off the roof one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by victor su View Post

Thanks.