• Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

She told me...

Hi!

As i talked to one of my friends a question popped up in me.It's about the following sentence,if i use it uncorrectly please let me know about the mistake:My mum told me that she would bring the food into my room as she was ready with it.It's based on the following sentence you know:my mum says she will bring the food into my room as she is ready with it.The question is: Do i use it in the right way above? or should i use it like this:My mum told me that she would bring the food into my room as she was going to be ready with it. or like this:My mum told me that she would bring the food into my room as she is ready with it. which one is the correct? thx for the answers in advance!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: She told me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryepower92 View Post
    Hi!

As i talked to one of my friends a question popped up in me.It's about the following sentence,if i use it uncorrectly please let me know about the mistake:My mum told me that she would bring the food into my room as she was ready with it.It's based on the following sentence you know:my mum says she will bring the food into my room as she is ready with it.The question is: Do i use it in the right way above? or should i use it like this:My mum told me that she would bring the food into my room as she was going to be ready with it. or like this:My mum told me that she would bring the food into my room as she is ready with it. which one is the correct? thx for the answers in advance!

Hello, Ryepower92.

"My mum says she will bring the food into my room as she is ready with it."
    "My mum said (that) she would bring the food into my room as she was ready with it." is OK.

Please remember that correct punctuation, capitalization and spacing are really important.
    I'd appreciate it if you could be careful about them next time.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    Hello, Ryepower92.

"My mum says she will bring the food into my room as she is ready with it."
    "My mum said (that) she would bring the food into my room as she was ready with it." is OK.

Please remember that correct punctuation, capitalization and spacing are really important.
    I'd appreciate it if you could be careful about them next time.

Thank you.
    Neither of your sentences is natural for me.

"My mum says she will bring the food into my room as soon as it is ready."
    "My mum said (that) she would bring the food into my room as soon as it was ready."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Neither of your sentences is natural for me.

"My mum says she will bring the food into my room as soon as it is ready."
    "My mum said (that) she would bring the food into my room as soon as it was ready."
    Thank you for the correction.

I first thought the 'as' in the sentence is ambiguous.
    It should be either 'as soon as' or 'when'.
    However, on second thoughts, it might work if the conjunction 'as' is used like 'because'.

"My mum says she will bring the food into my room as(=because) it is ready."
    "My mum said (that) she would bring the food into my room as(=because) it was ready."

Anyway, I was wrong. Three native speakers agree that the sentence is unnatural.
    I'm really sorry about the mistake, Ryepower92.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    Thank you for the correction.

I first thought the 'as' in the sentence is ambiguous.
    It should be either 'as soon as' or 'when'.
    However, on second thoughts, it might work if the conjunction 'as' is used like 'because'.

"My mum says she will bring the food into my room as(=because) it is ready."
    "My mum said (that) she would bring the food into my room as(=because) it was ready."

Anyway, I was wrong. Three native speakers agree that the sentence is unnatural.
    I'm really sorry about the mistake, Ryepower92.
    No, you weren't wrong. The original does mean that Mum was ready with it; and it does not mean that Mum would bring it in as soon as it's ready.
    So, the sentence wasn't ambiguous. It was unnatural though, and Mike changed the meaning.
    The main problem is that people's mums don't say, "I'm going to bring your dinner into your room now, as it's ready." They might say, "Your dinner's ready; I'm bringing it in."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Ryepower92 View Post
    Hi!

As ​I talked to one of my friends, a question popped up in me into my head. If I use have written it the following sentence incorrectly, please let me know. about the mistake

"My mum told me that she would bring the food into my room as she was ready with it."

It's based on the following sentence you know "My mum says she will bring the food into my room as she is ready with it."

The question is: Do Did I use write it in the right way above or should I use have written it like this:

"
    My mum told me that she would bring the food into my room as she was going to be ready with it"
    or like this:
    "My mum told me that she would bring the food into my room as she is ready with it."

W
    hich one is the correct? thx Thanks for the answers in advance!
    Please look at my amendments above. Remember the following rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
    - Always capitalise the word "I".
    - End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
    - Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
    - Put the sentences you are querying or quoting inside quotation marks.

Study the correct use of the colon in one of your grammar/punctuation books.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.