[General] Your common sense is being called...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bureaucracy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Good (night/morning/afternoon). My question is concerning two sentences: the first one "Would I have had the money I would have bought a new suit " and the second one "If I had had the money, I would have bought a new suit". I would like to ask you what differences in use are between them (which you can hear) and is that only about frequency(/poetry)?
Cheers
insomniac

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I would like to ask you what differences in use are between them (which you can hear) and is that only about frequency(/poetry)

If I had the money, I would buy a new suit. :tick:
If I had had the money, I would have bought a new suit. :tick:
Would I have had the money I would have bought a new suit. :cross:

Last edited:

bureaucracy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hmm. The last one seems to be grammatically agreeable... Why is that not correct? (I am sorry if I am asking unquestionable questions here, but if that's the case, just tell me).

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We just wouldn't say it like that.

bureaucracy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
No one out there would say that? How disappointing. Anyways, don't worry, you are being given some 'likes' right now.

Ha ha (or a ha-ha ahahaha)The next question (something I have got used to forgetting/forget) is:
Is 'no one out there would say that' equal to 'no one out there would not say that' except the expressed emphasis in the second sentence?
(lets say logical sense is omitted unless it be so important as to have it always included)
hmm. Another question arises. Is "something i have got used to forgetting' as correct as "something i have got used to forget'?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No one out there would say that? How disappointing. Anyways, don't worry, you are being given some 'likes' right now.

Ha ha (or a ha-ha ahahaha)The next question (something I have got used to forget) is:
Is 'no one out there would say that' equal to 'no one out there would not say that' except the expressed emphasis in the second sentence?
(lets say logical sense is omitted unless it be so important as to have it always included)

Please give your correct location in your profile.

bureaucracy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Huh. What do you mean? I hope you are not going to do something about it...:lol:

bureaucracy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Give a second then... ('me' swallowed somehow, probably in the process of thinking :-D)

edit: Of course you are free to answer my questions, even from now...

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Ha ha (or a ha-ha ahahaha)The next question (something I have got used to forgetting/forget) is:
hmm. Another question arises. Is "something i have got used to forgetting' as correct as "something i have got used to forget'?

I might answer your questions if I understood what you were asking.

Please ask them one at a time, with unrelated questions in separate threads and always capitalise I.

bureaucracy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
1. Is 'no one out there would say that' equal to 'no one out there would not say that' except the expressed emphasis in the second sentence?
2. Is "something i have got used to forgetting' as good as "something i have got used to forget'?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In #1 the word 'not' in the second version makes it the exact opposite of the first.

in #2 only the first is correct.

I repeat: always capitalise I.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

"No one out there would say that" and
"No one out there would not say that" are obviously different sentences.
I guess you know that, in English, we don't insert "not" or "no" unless we intend to make a separate negation? That is, we don't use double negatives for a single negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.