• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Now when...

Hello.
    I'd like to ask whether saying "Now when..." instead of "Now that..." is possible. Does "Now when..." sound natural?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Now when...

You need to show the entire sentence you want to write. It doesn't seem likely, but who knows what might work in the right context.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Here is a context.
    "Now when I am preparing a party in honor of the birthday of our firm I have got that the work is not so easy as it seemed at first. You need to reconcile and take into account so many details! It takes a lot of patience, attentiveness and accuracy."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

In that context, it has to be 'Now that...'

'Now when...' just doesn't work.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lucky_One View Post
    Here is a context.
    "Now when I am preparing a party in honor of the birthday of our firm I have got that the work is not so easy as it seemed at first. You need to reconcile and take into account so many details! It takes a lot of patience, attentiveness and accuracy."
    I think the "now when" works OK. I have a problem with the tenses though. Most of your sentence is in the present, but then one runs into "have got". I would change that to "get".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Here is a context.
    Now that I'm in charge of the birthday parties at our firm, I realize it's not as easy as I first through. You need to manage so many details!

I can't make "now when" work at all in that context.

It works like this:

I used to think that planning the birthday parties was be easy. Then I planned my first one and realized it's harder than I thought! Now when I'm tasked to plan one of them, I start early so I can make sure all the details are taken care of and it goes smoothly.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I think the "now when" works OK. I have a problem with the tenses though. Most of your sentence is in the present, but then one runs into "have got". I would change that to "get".
    Thanks.
    Yes, having pondered it I found "get" more appropriate too. But does using "have got" this way look very clumsy?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks.
    Yes, having pondered it I found "get" more appropriate too. But does using "have got" this way look very clumsy?
    It just doesn't fit in your sentence.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 30-Jun-2013 at 00:19. Reason: Fixing typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

"To get" meaning "to /understand" is OK but it just doesn't work in your sentence. It means "to [suddenly] understand".

My teacher explained the subjunctive to me about a hundred times. Finally, I've got it!!

Now that I have been tasked with organising the office party, I realise [that] it's not as easy as I first thought.

The only way I could use "Now when" in that context would be if you are the person regularly in charge of office parties.

I used to organise office parties 24 hours before they were due to be held. Now when I organise the office party, I start making the arrangement six weeks in advance!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.