• Native Language:
      • Quechua
      • Home Country:
      • Qatar
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

help (somebody) to do something vs help (somebody) do something

Hi All,

I would like to know the difference between help (somebody) to do something and help (somebody) do something?

EngFan
    Last edited by EngFan; 01-Jul-2013 at 10:18.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: What is the difference between help (sb) to do sth and help (sb) do sth?

There's no difference.

Please use the Edit Post feature to change 'sb' to 'somebody' and 'sth' to 'something'.

We don't want other students to think these non-standard abbreviations are acceptable here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    There's no difference.

Please use the Edit Post feature to change 'sb' to 'somebody' and 'sth' to 'something'.

We don't want other students to think these non-standard abbreviations are acceptable here.
    Hello, Rover.

I'm not really sure they are non-standard or not:
    Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary: International Student's Edition and CD-ROM with Oxford iWriter: Joanna Turnbull, Diana Lea, Dilys Parkinson, Patrick Phillips, Ben Francis, Suzanne Webb, Victoria Bull, Michael Ashby: 9780194799140: Amazo#_

(Could you click on 'LOOK INSIDE', please? I've actually seen them used in several English-English dictionaries.)

I wholeheartedly agree with you that incomprehensible/incorrect abbreviations should be avoided here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Those abbreviations are regularly used in dictionaries (and similar publications) because there is limited space. However, we like all words to be written out in full on the site because it is less confusing to beginners. Learners on the site who are not familiar with these definitions might be completely flummoxed by the use of "sb" and "sth" - they might try to look those up as proper words. Even when they know that they are abbreviations, they still might to try and use them in normal writing. Some abbreviations are perfectly acceptable in standard writing ("etc" for example) but "sb" and "sth" are not.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Those abbreviations are regularly used in dictionaries (and similar publications) because there is limited space. However, we like all words to be written out in full on the site because it is less confusing to beginners. Learners on the site who are not familiar with these definitions might be completely flummoxed by the use of "sb" and "sth" - they might try to look those up as proper words. Even when they know that they are abbreviations, they still might to try and use them in normal writing. Some abbreviations are perfectly acceptable in standard writing ("etc" for example) but "sb" and "sth" are not.

I agree.

"I saw sb enter my house last night. / I felt sth crawling up my back. " is not acceptable at all.

I'd like to offer my deepest apology for my recent thread, where I used these abbreviations.