Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Hi, I'm sorry if I'm bothering any of you, but... Could you tell me if the sentence "The English language is exactly what makes me deliriously happy" is correct? Thanks so much!

Algmina Bru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Please, this is very very improtant :)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, I'm sorry if I'm bothering any of you, but... Could you tell me if the sentence "The English language is exactly what makes me deliriously happy" is correct? Thanks so much!

The sentence is grammatically correct. Absent context, however, the meaning is a bit strange.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Algmina Bru.

The first thing you need to know is that the people who answer questions here are volunteers who visit the forum when they have the time and the inclination.

We do not sit at our computers just waiting for questions, so pestering us for an answer after only a minute is not a wise move.

As I see it, the only reason for any urgency on your part is if this a homework assignment for which you have to meet a deadline.

We do not help students with their homework. Your teacher needs to know what you can do, not what some teachers on a distant English learning forum can do.

If it's not homework, please tell us why it's so important.

Rover

EDIT: I observe that whilst I was writing that, an academic answered your question.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum, Algmina Bru.

The first thing you need to know is that the people who answer questions here are volunteers who visit the forum when they have the time and the inclination.

We do not sit at our computers just waiting for questions, so pestering us for an answer after only a minute is not a wise move.

As I see it, the only reason for any urgency on your part is if this a homework assignment for which you have to meet a deadline.

We do not help students with their homework. Your teacher needs to know what you can do, not what some teachers on a distant English learning forum can do.

If it's not homework, please tell us why it's so important.

Rover

EDIT: I observe that whilst I was writing that, an academic answered your question.

Sorry, I seem to have cross-posted with you.

Algmina Bru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause any trouble or seem impolite. The reason for such urgency is certainly not homework; I don't know whether this seems weird, but I want to get it tattooed; therefore, it is very important for me to know if the sentence is absolutely grammatically correct and I used the right collocations. Thank you for helping!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Honestly, that's a strange (and long) tattoo. How about "English makes me deliriously happy"?

Algmina Bru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Honestly, that's a strange (and long) tattoo. How about "English makes me deliriously happy"?

Oh, I know it's strange. The length is not really an issue. The point of it is that, well, people keep asking me "whaat? English actually brings you some kind of joy? How is that even possible?" and the sentence would be the answer to the question. I hope it's at least a little bit clear. I want to emphasize the meaning, trust me, I have thought about this tattoo for a long time and there's a strong reason for doing it. :) The only thing left is to find out whether the sentence is correct because, of course, making a mistake would be disastrous.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
As someone who sports some tattoos on his body, let me give you some advice (take it or leave it, that's of course your decidsion):

Before having it done, think of what it will look like on yoou in, say, 10, 20 or 30 years' time, and how you will feel about it.

I'm not against having words tattooed, but some words, just like any other figure you choose, might look silly or infantile in the body of an elderly person (That's why, for instance, I have not, so far, had any skulls or the like tattooed - I don't feel they'd look right on my body when I reach a certain age).

Algmina Bru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
As someone who sports some tattoos on his body, let me give you some advice (take it or leave it, that's of course your decidsion):

Before having it done, think of what it will look like on yoou in, say, 10, 20 or 30 years' time, and how you will feel about it.

I'm not against having words tattooed, but some words, just like any other figure you choose, might look silly or infantile in the body of an elderly person (That's why, for instance, I have not, so far, had any skulls or the like tattooed - I don't feel they'd look right on my body when I reach a certain age).

I appreciate what you're saying. I already have a tattoo and what I saw at the studio.. It freaked me out, I guess. Some random teenagers came and hadn't even thought that through. This is what I disagree with as well. The thing is that the tattoo I'm asking about would mean so much to me and yes, I'm sure that after 20 or 30 years I'd look at it and wouldn't regret having it done the slightest bit. Anyway, thank you for your reply, I get what you're trying to say.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I appreciate what you're saying. I already have a tattoo and what I saw at the studio.. It freaked me out, I guess. Some random teenagers came and hadn't even thought that through. This is what I disagree with as well. The thing is that the tattoo I'm asking about would mean so much to me and yes, I'm sure that after 20 or 30 years I'd look at it and wouldn't regret having it done the slightest bit. Anyway, thank you for your reply, I get what you're trying to say.

Then let us see the result once you've had it done! :up:

Algmina Bru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Then let us see the result once you've had it done! :up:

I definitely will! Thank you so much for taking this into account. I'm grateful for your advice!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Do you have a hobby Algmina Bru? :?:

Algmina Bru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Do you have a hobby Algmina Bru? :?:

The funny thing is that.. I love reading grammar books during my free time. That's crazy, I know :D I've been doing that since I was a kid. In fact, this is one of the reasons why I want to get such kind of tattoo.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The only thing left is to find out whether the sentence is correct because, of course, making a mistake would be disastrous.

It is correct, but it sounds weird to me. I wouldn't write it, much less have it as a tattoo. :up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not that unusual. I know several people who love learning foreign languages and spend most of their free time studying.

Algmina Bru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
It is correct, but it sounds weird to me. I wouldn't write it, much less have it as a tattoo. :up:

Actually, it sounds weird to everyone. However, it has the kind of meaning which I'd be the only one to completely understand. :) But thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.