Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Please, would you take a look at this sentence and correct my mistakes. I am not sure if I need the article "the" in front of the words "books" and "writers":

I could not imagine myself sitting year after year in dusty libraries, bent over books of the famous writers, and filling my mind with their poems, stories and novels.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Please, would you take a look at this sentence and correct my mistakes. I am not sure if I need the article "the" in front of the words "books" and "writers":

I could not imagine myself sitting year after year in dusty libraries, bent over books of the famous writers, and filling my mind with their poems, stories and novels.

Hello.:-D
Please let me try. (We'll need comments from native speakers. OK?)

I would write:

"I could not imagine myself sitting year after year in dusty libraries, bending over the books of famous writers and filling (...)"

I'm not really sure if it's natural or not.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I see this as a stylistic choice. There are at least three different ways to write this:
1. bent over books of the famous writers
2. bent over the books of the famous writers
3. bent over the books of famous writers

#1 seems to limit the writers to a certain group.
#2 seems to limit both the books and the writers to certain books and to a certain group.
#3 seems to be non-limiting except for the provision that the writers are famous. While this option appears to be the same as #1, there is a difference. That difference is that "the famous writers" are of a certain group while "famous writers" are not restricted to a certain group. They just have to be famous writers - not a member of "the famous writers" - whatever that is.

I would opt for #3 but you may want to select another option depending on the total context of the writing.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.:-D
Please let me try. (We'll need comments from native speakers. OK?)

I would write:

"I could not imagine myself sitting year after year in dusty libraries, bending over the books of famous writers and filling (...)"

I'm not really sure if it's natural or not.
There is a difference between "bending" and "bent". "bending" seems to be about the action of moving from an upright position to one where the back is inclined downward. "bent" is more about the position achieved after "bending" has occurred. If one is to spend hours reading a book, it could be said that he "bent" over the book.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
There is a difference between "bending" and "bent". "bending" seems to be about the action of moving from an upright position to one where the back is inclined downward. "bent" is more about the position achieved after "bending" has occurred. If one is to spend hours reading a book, it could be said that he "bent" over the book.

Thank you for your comment.:-D
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you, but the sentence begins with:
"I could not imagine myself sitting..."

Should it be 'bent'?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your comment.:-D
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you, but the sentence begins with:
"I could not imagine myself sitting..."

Should it be 'bent'?
It doesn't much difference whether a person is standing or sitting. "He was bent over tying his shoe laces when the attack happened". "He was sitting at his desk, bent over and reading the old document".

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
It doesn't much difference whether a person is standing or sitting. "He was bent over tying his shoe laces when the attack happened". "He was sitting at his desk, bent over and reading the old document".

Thank you for your comment again.:-D

Well, I'm sorry my point was not clear.
What I meant was this:

I couldn't imagine myself doing what?
1. sitting year after year in dusty libraries
2. bending over the books of famous writers
3. filling my mind with their poems, stories and novels.

I thought 1, 2 and 3 were all the objects of the verb 'imagine' and thus they should be in the '-ing form'.

I might be wrong.:oops:

(Edit) On second thoughts, is the following possible?

"I could not imagine myself sitting year after year in dusty libraries, (being) bent over the books of famous writers and filling my mind with their poems, stories and novels." - the 'being' is left out.

I'm really sorry, Bassim. I feel as if I were hijacking your thread.
I guess 'bent' is OK, since billmcd has nothing to say about it.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I could not imagine myself sitting year after year in dusty libraries, bent over the* books of [STRIKE] the [/STRIKE] **famous writers, and filling my mind with their poems, stories and novels.
My preference:
*Specific reference to only the books written by famous authors. **General reference to unidentified writers who are famous.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I prefer "by" and no article before "famous writers".

Status
Not open for further replies.