Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello, everyone!

I have been reading and, actually, agreeing with the notion of a stop t in "I can´t understand". But I thought of something!
In the phrase "I can´t believe it", one can drop the t and assimilate the n, which would give: I cam believe it. The sound of the a in "cam" is, precisely, the sound of a in "can´t with a so-called stop t (I can´t understand)". So, my question is: there´s no stop t in "I can´t understand", is there?
Thanks!

(I´m insisting on this particular subject because my native teacher insists there´s a stop t in the given situation. But, if there is, how can the same sound be made in "cam"? Which, obsviously, does not have a t?)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You must be talking about American English, as in BE the vowel's different: can - /kæn/; can't - /ka:nt/

But in any case I don't know what you (or your teacher) mean(s) by 'stop t'. The stop that replaces the /t/ is a glottal stop, and this [ʔ] can replace any stop (not just /t/).

b

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You must be talking about American English, as in BE the vowel's different: can - /kæn/; can't - /ka:nt/

But in any case I don't know what you (or your teacher) mean(s) by 'stop t'. The stop that replaces the /t/ is a glottal stop, and this [ʔ] can replace any stop (not just /t/).

b

It is amazing to me that any teacher can insist on the pronunciation of words by other people. Not everyone I know in the US pronounces all words the same. And, then as you pointed out, there are other varieties of English. I have heard people insist that "fountain" is pronounced with stop t, but I pronounce it with a clear t.

Carolina1983

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil

b

Hello again! Well, what she says is that, even before a vowel sound, there will be a t left in words that end with nt (went, can´t, don´t, blatant). She says the proof this t occurs is the raising of the soft palate, given that nasals are produced with the soft palate down. But, then again, I´ve read that there´s no such thing and that the proof of it is the assimilation I mentioned. By the way, am I right in saying it´s possible: I "cam" believe it? I copied it from this example: I don´t believe it - I don believe it - I dom believe it. By the way, my teacher´s American, from NYC.

Thanks!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It seems to me dangerous to talk about about a vague thing like 'a little bit of t left' and not talk about the anatomical realities involved. There is a stop; it is a glottal stop (occurring in the glottis); but there is no dental stop 'left'. The idea of something being 'left' is a romantic oversimplification.

I'd better not say any more; I don't think this is going anywhere useful. :oops: ;-)

b

PS In my original response I was being theoretical when I said 'The glottal stop can replace any stop'. In practice, it repolaces /t/ more than any other,

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree with what Bob has said.

I don't think we can get anywhere unless we can find out what your teacher means by stop t, an expression that I, with a little knowledge of phonetics, have not met, though apparently Mike has. As Bob said, "The idea of something being 'left' is a romantic oversimplification".

It would be useful in future posts if we used phonetic/phonemic transcription for words being discussed.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's a question of decay, the accoustics (physics) concept.... how fast the end of the word 'stops.'
Can decays gradually, like a song slowly going away, whereas can't decays suddenly, like a twig breaking.

Carolina1983

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I agree with what Bob has said.

I don't think we can get anywhere unless we can find out what your teacher means by stop t, an expression that I, with a little knowledge of phonetics, have not met, though apparently Mike has. As Bob said, "The idea of something being 'left' is a romantic oversimplification".

It would be useful in future posts if we used phonetic/phonemic transcription for words being discussed.

She says you position the tongue for the t sound, but don´t release it. She uses [t/].

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The effect of which is to end the syllable suddenly.

Carolina1983

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
The effect of which is to end the syllable suddenly.

Right. So how can we get the same effect thru assimilation? I can´t (t/) believe - I "cam" believe?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There is a very slight stop of all air in the mouth, throat, and nose, comparable to a glottal stop but not located in the same place, when we produce a North American clipped T sound. In effect, it is an air stop that mimics the decay of the British final /t/ and represents it by analogy. There is a fairly simple set of examples here: Perfect English Pronunciation

Status
Not open for further replies.