• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

not just for a brave young girl, but for an entire team.

Does this denote "(not only) for a brave young girl, (but also) for an entire team."? , not (not A but B)?
    If so, can the second "for" be omitted like "not just for a brave young girl, but an entire team"? A question says "for" can't be omitted,and I'd like to know if it is true.

38)Despite her initial hesitation, Cylie herself is now extremely happy about the rule that was designed especially for her. Now Cylie enjoys being part of a team again and is proud of her improving free throw shooting skills. She even set her new personal record of making eight successful shots in a row. But most importantly, she knows that none of this would ever have happened without the support and encouragement of her teammates, all of whom have grown particularly close to one another. “We’re all like sisters,” explained one. “We’re a big family.” So each time Cylie steps onto the basketball court to take free throws, the spectators cheer wildly - not just for a brave young girl, but for an entire team.
    Last edited by keannu; 04-Jul-2013 at 15:22.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: not just for a brave young girl, but for an entire team.

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Does this denote "(not only) for a brave young girl, (but also) for an entire team."? , not (not A but B)? IMO, yes.
    If so, can the second "for" be omitted like "not just for a brave young girl, but an entire team"? IMO, no
    38)Despite her initial hesitation, Cylie herself is now extremely happy about the rule that was designed especially for her. Now Cylie enjoys being part of a team again and is proud of her improving free throw shooting skills. She even set her new personal record of making eight successful shots in a row. But most importantly, she knows that none of this would ever have happened without the support and encouragement of her teammates, all of whom have grown particularly close to one another. “We’re all like sisters,” explained one. “We’re a big family.” So each time Cylie steps onto the basketball court to take free throws, the spectators cheer wildly - not just for a brave young girl, but for an entire team.
    charliedeut
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: not just for a brave young girl, but for an entire team.

I think the reason why you can't omit the second "for" is that if you do, it lacks an important nuance that is essential. It's like missing a screw in a machine running well. If my opinion is incorrect, please let me know.