Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've just been watching a youtube video on passive sentences, when the sentence in the title, 'How long was this task spent on?' was produced as the correct passive version of, 'How long did someone spend on this task?'.

To me, the sentence, 'How long was this task spent on?' sounds incorrect.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
To me too. It should be "how long was spent on the task", although I doubt it is natural either. Most likely I would say "How long did the task take?" or "how long did it take to complete the task?" We'll have to wait for natives speakers to have their say.

Last edited:

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To me too. It should be "how long was spent on the task", although I doubt it is natural either. Most likely I would say "How long did the task take?" or "how long did it take to complete the task?" We'll have to wait for natives speakers to have their say.

I am a native and I would also say, 'How long was spent on the task?' Though I'd like an explanation as to why and why the other version sounds incorrect.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Charlie is correct, though 'How long was spent on the task isn't particularly unnatural, in my opinion.
I am a native and I would also say, 'How long was spent on the task?' Though I'd like an explanation as to why and why the other version sounds incorrect.
'How long was this task spent on?' not only sounds incorrect, it is incorrect. The task was spent on nothing; it was time that was spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.