Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Brazil
Hi there, " I didn't have the opportunity to cook as much. I was not paying as much attention as I needed to the portion sizes and all the things that just get out of hand. Not thinking about sping time." What is the meaning of spring time? Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Spring time" is the season of the year when it is spring (rather than summer, autumn or winter). I have no idea why it appears in that piece you posted. I think we probably need more context to understand why it's there.

Nicklexoxo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.
I am not a native speaker, but I have an idea: maybe spring time, in this context, means that problems intensify, like a bad memory, disease and etc.
nickle.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.
I am not a native speaker, but I have an idea: maybe spring time, in this context, means that problems intensify, like a bad memory, disease and etc.
nickle.

Why do you think that?

Nicklexoxo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Because in my language we can use "spring time" for describing strange situations (if these situations happen in spring season). It is just my supposition, sorry if it's rubbish.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm afraid that's not the case in English.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited by a moderator:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe it's the idea of "bathing suit season" - the writer ate more than he/she should have and will be seen in public in shorts, or short-sleeved shirts, or even on the beach in a bathing suit. (The mention of [strike]potion[/strike] portion control led me down this line of thought.)

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe it's the idea of "bathing suit season" - the writer ate more than he/she should have and will be seen in public in shorts, or short-sleeved shirts, or even on the beach in a bathing suit. (The mention of [strike]potion[/strike] portion control led me down this line of thought.)

I think you might be right. I guess it's an alien concept to me - the idea of wearing a bathing suit (swimming costume in BrE) in spring in the UK! You'd likely freeze to death.

Barb - I corrected your typo but I felt duty-bound to leave in and strikethrough your original word as I absolutely love the idea of "potion control" - home economics classes at Hogwarts perhaps? ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I think you are right on track.

Not cooking = take-out food, fast food
Lack of portion control = overeating
Spring time = swim suits and more revealing clothes.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.