Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

I would like to ask a question about the word „grip“ / „grippe“ / „la grippe“ (= influenza).

According to The Collins English Dictionary (2003; all my references to all dictionaries are actually taken from The Free Dictionary – based on Collins etc.), the word is „a former name“ for influenza. In The Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary (2010) one can find a stylistic classification „older use“. The Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health (2003) calls it just a „popular term for influenza“ (not an old-fashioned one).

I came across the word in one short story by I. B. Singer (and I, therefore, guessed at first it would be a loanword from German – die Grippe – via Yiddish, of which German is a substantial component; the word has been, however, taken over from Old French, as I come to know now in the dictionaries).

And I would like to ask native speakers / English teachers a question: is the word still widely in use? Would you use it? Or is it better to avoid it?

Thanks

David

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I would like to ask a question about the word „grip“ / „grippe“ / „la grippe“ (= influenza).

According to The Collins English Dictionary (2003; all my references to all dictionaries are actually taken from The Free Dictionary – based on Collins etc.), the word is „a former name“ for influenza. In The Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary (2010) one can find a stylistic classification „older use“. The Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health (2003) calls it just a „popular term for influenza“ (not an old-fashioned one).

I came across the word in one short story by I. B. Singer (and I, therefore, guessed at first it would be a loanword from German – die Grippe – via Yiddish, of which German is a substantial component; the word has been, however, taken over from Old French, as I come to know now in the dictionaries).

And I would like to ask native speakers / English teachers a question: is the word still widely in use? Would you use it? Or is it better to avoid it?

Thanks

David

The last time I heard this word was in a song from Guys and Dolls. I would avoid it in modern English.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've heard it in French, but never in English. I must have missed Guys and Dolls.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I've never heard it in English either.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil

My father, New York-born in 1898, used it all the time. I've never heard anyone else use the word in English.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

My father, New York-born in 1898, used it all the time. I've never heard anyone else use the word in English.

I have seen it in written English from the 1920s and before, spelled grippe. It was a synonym for cold or flu. And I think my grandmother used it too. But I consider it to have fallen out of use and would avoid it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have seen it in written English from the 1920s and before, spelled grippe. It was a synonym for cold or flu. And I think my grandmother used it too. But I consider it to have fallen out of use and would avoid it.

Mandy Moore singing Adelaide's Lament from Guys and Dolls.

See here: Mandy Moore - Adelaides Lament - YouTube

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've heard it in French, but never in English. I must have missed Guys and Dolls.

'A person can develop a cold' - Adelaide.

b

PS Posted before I saw #-1. I'm leaving it because of riquecohen's point: she says /pɔɪsən/. It's set in New York.

b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.