Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello, everyone.

I'm a little bit confused: "At the extreme end of the scale there is the aristocratic "stately home" set in acres of garden."
What the bold phrase means? Could you interpret in other words this phrase? I can show a full context if you need in it.

Nickle.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, everyone.

I'm a little bit confused: "At the extreme end of the scale there is the aristocratic "stately home" set in acres of garden."
What the bold phrase means? Could you interpret in other words this phrase? I can show a full context if you need in it.

Nickle.
A scale is a way of measuring something. For example, a balance scale is used to weight things. A scale can measure more than weight. A scale can also measure distance, or, about anything else. As far as homes go, on one end of the scale might be an old house which is about to fall down. At the other end, the extreme end, (the extreme end being as far as the scale goes) are mansions, or stately homes. Think of a ruler which is used to measure distance. On one end is zero and on the other end is 12. A small house may be located at three or four on this scale and a stately home may be at 12.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, everyone.

Nickle.

Context always helps. This writer appears to be talking about different types of homes, possibly from a small bungalow to the one described. If the homes were put on a scale of size or elegance, the described home would be right at the top of the scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.