Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hey Guys,

I have completed my cover letter for a company I am very interested in, however there is this one sentence that is giving me doubts. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

"Two years before graduating from the University of British Columbia in Computer Engineering, I started working concurrently for RMV Motion as a software developer."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hey Guys,

I have completed my cover letter for a company I am very interested in, however there is this one sentence that is giving me doubts. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

"Two years before graduating in Computer Engineering from the University of British Columbia, I started working for RMV Motion as a software developer."

Bhai.

Mattello

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
For some reason the a word was left out of my copy and paste...

"Two years before graduating from the University of British Columbia in Computer Engineering, I started working concurrently for RMV Motion as a software developer".

I do not know if the adverb concurrently is being used correctly. Would appreciate feedback

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For some reason the a word was left out of my copy and paste...

"Two years before graduating from the University of British Columbia in Computer Engineering, I started working concurrently for RMV Motion as a software developer".

I do not know if the adverb concurrently is being used correctly. Would appreciate feedback

I believe that removal was Bhai's correction. I think the deletion changed your intended meaning. I have no problem with that adverb. It means that your work with RMV was at the same time you were in school.

Mattello

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Oh ok, the purpose of that sentence is to let them know that I was studying and working at the same time, Thanks for the reply.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I believe that removal was Bhai's correction. I think the deletion changed your intended meaning. I have no problem with that adverb. It means that your work with RMV was at the same time you were in school.

I think the "Two years before graduating..." says that, making "concurrently" unnecessary. With it, it is over wordy IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattello

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you for both your inputs, as it is a cover letter and the hiring manager will probably just give it a very quick glance before deciding to send it to the technical lead, I will keep the adverb at the risk of repetition, thank you both for your inputs I feel much more comfortable about my letter.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the "Two years before graduating..." says that, making "concurrently" unneccessary. With it, it is over wordy IMO.

But without it, it is possible that he quit school for a period of time to go to work. I think he wants them to know that he worked while he went to school.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for both your inputs, as it is a cover letter and the hiring manager will probably just give it a very quick glance before deciding to send it to the technical lead, I will keep the adverb at the risk of repetition, thank you both for your inputs I feel much more comfortable about my letter.

One never knows what will impress the reader. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.