Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
This text was in an email I received at the office:

"Please revert asap as we need to book the transport."

They are expecting information from us on loading address and approximate time. The sender is a native French speaker. Would the influence of French make her use "revert" meaning "answer"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's an example of "workspeak" which seems to have crept in over the last few years. I have seen "Please revert" or "Please revert to me" countless times and it still leaps off the page at me as a very strange usage. It does not mean "reply". It means "return to" or "go back to" which makes no sense at all when what you want is for the person to actually reply to your email/letter/message.

Note that we can and do say "Please come back to me asap on this". In this context "to come back to sb" does mean "to reply to sb".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This text was in an email I received at the office:

"Please revert asap as we need to book the transport."

They are expecting information from us on loading address and approximate time. The sender is a native French speaker. Would the influence of French make her use "revert" meaning "answer"?

Conceivably they are consciously avoiding the right word (le mot juste) which would be 'respond' because they feel it might be a faux ami, being too like their own répondre.

b

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's an example of "workspeak" which seems to have crept in over the last few years. I have seen "Please revert" or "Please revert to me" countless times and it still leaps off the page at me as a very strange usage. It does not mean "reply". It means "return to" or "go back to" which makes no sense at all when what you want is for the person to actually reply to your email/letter/message.

Note that we can and do say "Please come back to me asap on this". In this context "to come back to sb" does mean "to reply to sb".

Corporate-speak aside, the verb "revert" does not fit there.

Status
Not open for further replies.