• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

would be greatly appreciated

At the end of a formal letter I saw this sentence: 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful would be greatly appreciated.'
    I think the original sentence is 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful and I would be greatly appreciated.

Am I right? 'I' can be omitted?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    At the end of a formal letter I saw this sentence: 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful would be greatly appreciated.'
    I think the original sentence is 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful and I would be greatly appreciated.

Am I right? 'I' can be omitted?
    Hello. You have asked if 'I' can be omitted, but actually the original sentence did not contain 'and I'. The original sentence was as you originally posted: 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful would be greatly appreciated.' All the words between 'Your' and 'beautiful' make one long subject: (Subject) Your-helping-keep-our-neighborhood-clean-and-beautiful....(predicate) would be greatly appreciated. If you want to use 'I' with 'appreciate', the passive is not appropriate. The active is used instead. For example, 'I would greatly appreciate your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful.' Anyway, I hope that helps!
    Rick S.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Rick S. View Post
    Hello. You have asked if 'I' can be omitted, but actually the original sentence did not contain 'and I'. The original sentence was as you originally posted: 'Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful would be greatly appreciated.' All the words between 'Your' and 'beautiful' make one long subject: (Subject) Your-helping-keep-our-neighborhood-clean-and-beautiful....(predicate) would be greatly appreciated. If you want to use 'I' with 'appreciate', the passive is not appropriate. The active is used instead. For example, 'I would greatly appreciate your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful.' Anyway, I hope that helps!
    Rick S.
    My problem is about the first part of the sentence: Your helping keep our neighborhood clean and beautiful would be greatly appreciated.

I think it was 'Your helping of keeping our neighborhood....' OR 'Your helping that you keep our neighborhood....'

Thanks,
    ata