Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've used all three all of my life but I am wondering how they differ.

It seems to me that "come (on) over" only is used when the distance is not great and the movement will be easy and the visit will be casual. Although I am not so sure. I can almost hear myself saying to someone from Europe "come on over here (to the US) next summer and I will show you around."

I am more sure that "come (on) over" only works for horizontal movement. If you live above me or below me in an apartment building I would not say "come (on) over to my apartment", I'd say "come up/down to my apartment."

What do you think?

Thanks, Bob

EnglishFix

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Chile
Bob,
I agree that "come on over" is for horizontal movement while "come on down/up" is for more vertical movements.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A couple of other connotations that I suspect may exist:

1. The bare come is used when the date has been agreed but the details are uncertain. We know you are coming for the weekend so we say "Come Friday evening" or "Come Saturday morning."

2. "Come on over" may be a regionalism, although I cannot specify the region in which it is used. Where I live we always say "come over".

bob12603

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wasn't there a famous game show host who would say "come on down" when inviting audience members to join him on the stage?

A couple of other connotations that I suspect may exist:

1. The bare come is used when the date has been agreed but the details are uncertain. We know you are coming for the weekend so we say "Come Friday evening" or "Come Saturday morning."

2. "Come on over" may be a regionalism, although I cannot specify the region in which it is used. Where I live we always say "come over".

Status
Not open for further replies.