Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I don't get it what is the difference between "to concern" and "to be concern with". Can anyone explain where those two differ in meaning?
As it was established in the contents of my previous post, it is correct to say:
"This problem concerns us."
but it is wrong to say:
"This problem is concerned with us."
but we can say:
"The TV programme is concerned with the economic crisis."
In my languge dictionary both those phrases are translated as "to be connected with" so I don't feel any difference between them.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't get it what is the difference between "to concern" and "to be concern with". Can anyone explain where those two differ in meaning?
As it was established in the contents of my previous post, it is correct to say:
"This problem concerns us."
but it is wrong to say:
"This problem is concerned with us."
but we can say:
"The TV programme is concerned with the economic crisis."
In my languge dictionary both those phrases are translated as "to be connected with" so I don't feel any difference between them.

I think the problem is that have not differentiated the concern from the concerned.

The problem concerns us. The "problem" is the concern and "us" are the concerned.
The problem cannot be concerned about anything.

Pierce111

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
But on the other hand the "TV programme" which is not a person, can "be concerned with smth". This is where is the problem to me. Some things can "be concerned" and some can't.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But on the other hand the "TV programme" which is not a person, can "be concerned with smth". This is where is the problem to me. Some things can "be concerned" and some can't.

That usage is lazy, and I'd avoid it (though many people don't).

b

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Yes, but a TV program is written and produced by people to present a point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.