Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Can you tell if the verbs in bold sound well in the following sentences or if a native speaker would replace them with others?

1) This water pump has a special device on it to filter out any impurities.
2) Something was wrong with the engine so we stripped it down and examined each part.
3) No wonder the fridge isn't working. You haven't wired up the plug properly.
4) These machines need to be solid. The have to stand up to a lot of rough treatment.
5) The only maintenance that is required is to top up the oil if it gets a bit low.
6) Every time we start up the drilling machine we have to go through a strict safety procedure to prevent any accidents.
7) The operator monitors the pressure by reading off the measurements on these gauges.
8) The engine kept cutting out and then starting again a few seconds later.

In addition to the sentences I've posted, I have got 3 questions about the verbs I've used.
A) In sentence 2 can the verb "strip down" be replaced by "take apart"? Do they mean the same if talking about engines and machines in general?
B) In sentence 5, is the verb "top up" used correctly? I mean, can I both top up a container and a liquid, such in this case, oil?
C) In sentence 8, can the verb "cut out" be replaced by "break down" to mean that an engine or a machine stops working? Are they synonyms?

Thank you very much for your help.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can you tell if the verbs in bold sound well in the following sentences or if a native speaker would replace them with others?

1) This water pump has a special device on it to filter out any impurities.
2) Something was wrong with the engine so we stripped it down and examined each part.
3) No wonder the fridge isn't working. You haven't wired up the plug properly.
4) These machines need to be solid. The have to stand up to a lot of rough treatment.
5) The only maintenance that is required is to top up the oil if it gets a bit low.
6) Every time we start up the drilling machine we have to go through a strict safety procedure to prevent any accidents.
7) The operator monitors the pressure by reading off the measurements on these gauges.
8) The engine kept cutting out and then starting again a few seconds later.

In addition to the sentences I've posted, I have got 3 questions about the verbs I've used.
A) In sentence 2 can the verb "strip down" be replaced by "take apart"? Do they mean the same if talking about engines and machines in general? I would stick with "strip down".
B) In sentence 5, is the verb "top up" used correctly? I mean, can I both top up a container and a liquid, such in this case, oil? Yes.
C) In sentence 8, can the verb "cut out" be replaced by "break down" to mean that an engine or a machine stops working? Are they synonyms? No. For me, "break down" indicates something more permant than cutting out and restarting continuously.

Thank you very much for your help.

They are all fine.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would probably read the measurements off (of) the gauges.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
They are all fine.

Thank you very much for your answer, but, would you stick with "strip down" because you like it more or would a native speaker consider "strip down" and "take apart" synonyms, so they could be both used for every kind of machines, clocks, engines, cars and so on?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you very much for your answer, but, would you stick with "strip down" because you like it more or would a native speaker consider "strip down" and "take apart" synonyms, so they could be both used for every kind of machines, clocks, engines, cars and so on?

"Strip down" is idiomatic when talking about machines, engines etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.