Several questions that need

1 Does the lift __?
    Yes,and it is __by the computer.
    A work done
    B do worked
    c work worked
    D do done

2 Where have you been?We__you back much earlier.
    A were expecting
    B are expecting
    C have expected
    D expect

3 The storm died away at last with the golden waves__the shore in peace.
    A striking B hitting C beating D knocking

4 There is not one of us___wishes to help you.We're doing our best.
    A who
    B that
    C as
    D but
    (I can't even understand what this sentence is intended to say.)

5 The traveller drank up __little water there was left in the bottle.
    A in which B that C no matter how D what

Explanation to these questions will be very much appreciated, cause I got these wrong in my exams.

Re: Several questions that need

Quote Originally Posted by forch
    1 Does the lift __?
    Yes,and it is __by the computer.
    A work done
    B do worked
    c work worked
    D do done
    The answer is C. The intention of the question is to test recognition of two usages of the verb "to work". The lift "works" in the sense of "being functional", which is the intransitive usage of the verb (it takes no direct object). However, the computer "works" the lift, which is the transitive usage of the verb (it has a direct object - in this case, the lift).

The question makes the distinction less easy to spot by using the passive voice in the second sentence. This sentence could be rephrased in the active voice as "Yes, and the computer works the lift", which makes the transitive nature of the verb more obvious. In the passive, it becomes "it (the lift) is worked".

2 Where have you been?We__you back much earlier.
    A were expecting
    B are expecting
    C have expected
    D expect
    The answer is A. This is a question designed to test understanding of tense.

First, we can recognise immediately that a past tense of some sort is needed, because the question asks where someone has BEEN (in the past), and then describes what "we" were doing (expecting the return of the someone) while that someone was away. In other words, the "expecting" occurred in the past.

So we can eliminate options B (Present Continuous tense) and D (Present Simple tense). We are left with Option C (Present Perfect tense) or Option A (Imperfect or Past Simple tense). The difference between these tenses is that present perfect is used where the action of the verb is incomplete and imperfect is used where the action is complete.

So now we ask ourselves "Are we still expecting the person back?" No, because they have returned and we are asking them a question. So, the verb is complete. We use the imperfect tense "were expecting".

Note that the imperfect tense has another form: "expected". You might ask whether that could be used in the sentence. Yes, it could. The sentence "We expected you back much earlier" means the same as "We were expecting you back much earlier", and is equally correct.

The answer is probably A, but I consider this to be a terrible question. It is genuinely ambiguous. Waves never "knock" shores, but it is perfectly natural in English to say waves are striking, hitting or beating the shore. The sentence implies we should be looking for a "gentle" verb, because it tells us that "the storm died away" and the waves were at "peace". None of the alternatives A, B and C are "gentle" though. I would discard C because it would only be chosen to suggest a violent storm. However, I can only choose between A and B on pure instinct.

4 There is not one of us___wishes to help you.We're doing our best.
    A who
    B that
    C as
    D but
    (I can't even understand what this sentence is intended to say.)
    It's another poor question in my opinion, because it teaches an archaic English construction that is rarely used by native speakers or writers today. In order for the sentences to be consistent, the answer must be D.

"There is not one of us but wishes to help you" means the same as "None of us wishes anything else except to help you". There are much better and clearer ways of saying that.

5 The traveller drank up __little water there was left in the bottle.
    A in which B that C no matter how D what
    The answer is D.

DO not mean to step on your toes coffa. Just giving the English learner a 2nd opinion is all.

C

I agree with coffa that this is a very strange sentence. I would answer it differently though.

4 There is not one of us___wishes to help you. We're doing our best.
    A who
    B that
    C as
    D but
    B

Re: Several questions that need explanation

Thank you coffa!!The answer to the third question is C,beating,which you wanted to discard though.I admit that it's a terrible question,especially when it occurs in the paper!

Can anyone help explain the last question?Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blax
    DO not mean to step on your toes coffa. Just giving the English learner a 2nd opinion is all.
    C
    I agree with coffa that this is a very strange sentence. I would answer it differently though.
    A who
    B that
    C as
    D but
    B
    Thank you Blax.For the 3rd question,it's beating,but can you tell me how you chose beating? Is it by pure instinct?

For the 4th one,I chose B,that,but the answer our teacher gave us was D,but. I think Coffa has got it right.

C
    Step wherever you like, my friend.

However, questions like the above give ESL teaching a bad name. If I can't get it "right" after 40 years speaking and teaching English, how is a learner supposed to manage? Have you EVER heard anyone say that "the golden waves beat the shore in peace"?

I suspect that whoever wrote the question is not a native speaker and lifted a piece of poetry out of context. If you're interested, put "waves striking the shore", "waves hitting the shore", and "waves beating the shore" into Google. Then tell me that "beating" is the only natural usage .

A who
    B that
    C as
    D but
    B
    Read it back: "There is not one of us that wishes to help you. We're doing our best."

So they're doing their best not to help you? Is it not more likely that they're doing their best because they wish to help you? In that case, only "but" fits the first sentence.

My parents live on the Oregon coast in the USA. The waves beat against the rocks all day and night they always say.

I do not know where I first heard this and 99.9% of native English speakers where I am from say this and do not know the origin.

A common problem with learning English is, the learner always wants to know why. In a lot of cases, there is no why. This is how some people simply talk. This is, in my opinion, the most difficult part of learning English.

I wasn't trying to claim "waves beating against rocks" is WRONG usage. I know it's common. I was simply saying that waves "striking" and "hitting" shores is also common usage. In my opinion, "striking" seemed marginally less violent than "beating". Wouldn't you rather be simply struck than beaten?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffa
    Wouldn't you rather be simply struck than beaten?
    Depends on the situation.

Depends on the situation.
    The problem is that it would only give you this sentence without much context,while you have to make the right choice within 30 secs in an exam.

I think it's the question that sucks but it's just what I've got to live with.