Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hey guys there is 1 tricky question i'd like to ask you. I hope you don't mind.
I guess there were a lot of questions about this problem but i'll ask you anyway because it's slightly different.

So if we talk about past and I want to express possibility how should I say? here is some contex you might want to see

Hello my friend! Have you seen Mr. M? What is he doing for his living?
Hi man! I don't know he COULD become a doctor.
or
Hi man! I don't know, he COULD HAVE become a doctor.

Honestly not sure, that this contex is appropriate, but I hope so:)
So I know, what could have means, that somebody was capable of doing something, but didn't do because of something else.
And I know, that could may express future or present tenses and ability in the past.

But what I want to know is how to say right about something, that could happen or couldn't in the past.
Where in this case do we use could and could have or it means the same?
In this case I imply, that we don't know if Mr. M became a doctor or didn't.

best regards, Mike.
P.S. Im not interested in might:)) So the question only about could and could have:)

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to Using English, Mike.

We insist on the use of standard English here, with correct capitalisation and punctuation. Texting abbreviations like 'u', 'smth'. 'smb' and 'wanna' are not allowed.

'I' is always capitalised.

Please oblige us by using the Edit Post feature to correct your text, followed by Save.

We will then consider your question.

Rover

monnzz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Ladies and Gentlemen, I fixed my post as it was required:) So, could someone help me? Anyhelp would be much appreciated:)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hey guys there is 1 tricky question I'd like to ask you. I hope you don't mind.
I guess there were a lot of questions about this problem but I'll ask you anyway because it's slightly different.

So if we talk about past and I want to express possibility how should I say? here is some context you might want to see

Hello my friend! Have you seen Mr. M? What is he doing for his living?
"Hi man! I don't know. He COULD become a doctor." This only refers to the future.
or
"Hi man! I don't know; he COULD HAVE become a doctor." This is the correct sentence.

Honestly not sure, that this contex is appropriate, but I hope so:)
So I know what "could have" means - that somebody was capable of doing something, but didn't do because of something else. Yes, that's one meaning (See below).
"He could have become a doctor" is what you want. But this has two possible meanings.
"He could have become a doctor (but he didn't, because he didn't study hard enough)."
"He could have become a doctor (but I don't know whether he did or not. He might be a doctor)".

monnzz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
okey, thanks a lot Raymott, I really appreciate your help!

But could you tell me when do we use "could" to express possibility in the past?

Because it's said that it can be used this way, but I haven't catched yet, what the difference is between "could" and "could have" when we imply possibility in the past.

Last edited:

monnzz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please, anyone, could you justify my guesses or turn them down. Here they are:

when we use "could" as possibility in the past it means that something did happen sometimes, that's why there is a possibility.

For example: people could lose their way in the dark. (it means people sometimes lost their way in the dark in the past)

when we use "could have" as possibility in the past it means that something happened or didn't happen, but we don't know for sure.

For example: Who opened the window? I don't know, it could have been John. (it means we don't know for sure if it was John or somebody else)

So, am I correct or wrong? Could someone tell me?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please, anyone, could you justify my guesses or turn them down. Here they are:

when we use "could" as possibility in the past it means that something did happen sometimes, that's why there is a possibility.

For example: people could lose their way in the dark. (it means people sometimes lost their way in the dark in the past)

when we use "could have" as possibility in the past it means that something happened or didn't happen, but we don't know for sure.

For example: Who opened the window? I don't know, it could have been John. (it means we don't know for sure if it was John or somebody else)

So, am I correct or wrong? Could someone tell me?

You are right.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'Could' in the past also means "was able to".
"When I was a child, I could play the piano. But now I've forgotten how." "I could" = "I was able to"
This is 'could' as the past tense of 'can'.

monnzz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks a lot guys, you've helped me very much:)

Status
Not open for further replies.