Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
while / when / as

What are the difference between them?

What time should I use "as"? What time should I use "when"?

I was by him when he died. Could I change when into as?

I don't know when I can't exchange them.

Please help me. Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
while / when / as

What are the differences between them?

[STRIKE]What time[/STRIKE] When should I use "as"? [STRIKE]What time[/STRIKE] When should I use "when"?

"I was by him when he died."

Could I change "when" into "as"?

I don't know when I [STRIKE]can't[/STRIKE] can exchange them.

Please help me. Thanks.

In the sentence you quoted, I would say "I was with him when he died".

Otherwise, it is very difficult for us to explain when to use specific prepositions etc because they have so many different uses. If you have other example sentences for us, we might be able to comment.

Soox

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you. I'm grateful that you correct the mistakes of my thread.

I have seen some grammar rule that the verb of the clause introduced by "as" must be a non-momentary verb. In other words, the clause introduced by "as" limit a period of time rather than some point of time.

For instance, "when Kate Middleton gave birth to son at 4:24 p.m" is the point of time. In the moment, at 4:24 p.m, prince come into the world. so the clause introduced by when tell us a specific point of time.

But the verb of the "as" clause should mean a period time. Such as, "as I lived in England, I learned to speak English. "I lived in England" is a period of time instead of a point of time.

We must use "when" to introduce, when some clause limits a point of time. We must use "as" when some clause limits a period of time.

Is my comprehension about as and when right???

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
But the verb of the "as" clause should mean a period time. Such as, "As I lived in England, I learned to speak English. "I lived in England" is a period of time instead of a point of time.

In your example "as" means "because", it doesn't refer to a period of time. You could say "I learned English when I lived in England" or "I learned English while (I was) living in England".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
First, you need to be aware that 'as' has other meanings. "As I lived in England, I learnt English" would normally be read as
"Because I lived in England I learnt English." If you want the other meaning of 'as', you should use "While I lived in England".
Because of these contextual factors, it's impossible to give a simple answer to your question of when to use "as, while, when".

Yes, you seem to have the right idea of 'as' meaning 'while'.
"When Kate Middleton gave birth, the British people celebrated" (A point in time).
"While/As Kate was giving birth, the public waited/were waiting expectantly" (A period of time)
"During the time that Kate was giving birth,
the public waited expectantly" (A period of time)

Soox

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could this forum allow me to send a private massage to somebody? I did not find a button to send PM.

"When Kate Middleton gave birth, the British people celebrated" (A point in time).

Does not "a point in time" equal to "a point of time"?

The correct expression is "a point in time" ??

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could this forum allow me to send a private message to somebody? I did not find a button to send PM.

I believe you can't send PMs until you have made a certain number of posts (perhaps 10). The PM facility is not to be used for queries about the English language though.

Is the correct expression "a point in time"?
Yes, that is the correct expression.

See above. Remember to use only one question mark at the end of a question.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Could this forum allow me to send a private massage to somebody? I did not find a button to send PM.

The correct expression is "a point in time"? Yes.

When you have made ten posts you will be able to send and receive PMs.

Soox

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I' not sure that in this thread I could discuss the following issue because it does not relate to my this thread.
If what I'm doing is a serious mistake, please tell me ,and I will follow your advice, correcting it.

But the verb of the "as" clause should mean a period time. Such as, "As I lived in England, I learned to speak English. "I lived in England" is a period of time instead of a point of time.

Thank you, bhaisahab. I appreciate that you spend your value time to pay attentions my question, to reply it, to correct my mistake. And I learned a lot of matters, but I still confuse why is "I learned to speak English."
Writing it, I thought that the "speaking English" is abstract action rather than some concrete act.

To speak English is a motion. But Speaking English is a thing. I want to express that while I lived in England, I did the thing of learning their native language.

I don't know when to use "doing something" and when to use "to do something". Please help me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.