Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. the doctor came to see that the patient had died. (is the sentence here expressing the result of infinitive.?)

2.The doctor came to see the patient. (is the sentence here expressing the purpose of infinitive.?)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is the second thread you have started with the same unhelpful title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

I'll change the titles for you this time.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. the doctor came to see that the patient had died. (is the sentence here expressing the result of infinitive.?)

2.The doctor came to see the patient. (is the sentence here expressing the purpose of infinitive.?)

I don't understand your question. Your first sentence is highly unlikely. Doctors can be called to a scene to confirm that a person is dead, but not simply to see it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand your question. Your first sentence is highly unlikely. Doctors can be called to a scene to confirm that a person is dead, but not simply to see it.

Also, "came to see" can mean that he had a realization.

Babai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If i rewrite the sentences like below then am i right
1.The doctor come to see that the patient is dead. (here "to see" is the infinitive of result?) 2.The doctor come to see the patient (here "to see" is the infinitive of purpose?)

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
No. 'Come/go to V' invariably expresses purpose (except, as someone has already pointed out, where 'come to see' has the special meaning 'gradually realized').

With certain other verbs, however, e.g. 'Arrive to see/witness/...' a result interpretation is more natural, although sense/context need will probably always need to be taken into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.