• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question About Jules' Undersea Lodge

I read an article about Jules' Undersea Lodge. It ends with such a sentence:

The best moment was waking up and seeing hundreds of tropical fish watching me through my bedroom window! the Lodge isn't cheap (one night costs $499 per person) but it doesn't matter when you go -- it's always wet!

I can't figure out the meaning of "it's always wet". Does it contain any culture meaning?

Waiting for your kind help :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: About Jules' Undersea Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by gxiang View Post
    I read an article about Jules' Undersea Lodge. It ends with such a sentence:

The best moment was waking up and seeing hundreds of tropical fish watching me through my bedroom window! the Lodge isn't cheap (one night costs $499 per person) but it doesn't matter when you go -- it's always wet!

I can't figure out the meaning of "it's always wet". Does it contain any culture meaning?

Waiting for your kind help :)
    It seems that the bedroom is under water. "It doesn't matter when you go, it's always wet" means it is always the same, no matter the time of year.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In other words, don't worry about going during the "rainy season" or "the dry season" - underwater it's always wet.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Does it also imply that though it is very expensive to live in the lodge, it is still very popular so nearly every day travelers keep coming here and then there is no chance to dry the room?

I just don't know why "it's always wet" follows "the Lodge isn't cheap". Is there any connection between the two?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Does it also imply that though it is very expensive to live in the lodge, it is still very popular so nearly every day travelers keep coming here and then there is no chance to dry the room?

I just don't know why "it's always wet" follows "the Lodge isn't cheap". Is there any connection between the two?
    No, it is not the room that is wet, it is the surroundings that are wet. There is no connection to the price.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

If you pay a lot of money for a room with a view of the garden, but in the winter the garden is not in bloom, then you'd be disappointed that you paid for a garden view room when the garden doesn't look good. In this case, no matter which season it is, the room is always underwater, the fish are always there - you're getting exactly what you're paying for. You'd be disappointed to pay $500 a night for an underwater room if the room wasn't underwater during the winter, for example.

(not a teacher, just a language lover)