Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 294
    #1

    enforce

    Hello!
    Below is a sentence in a 10th grade entrance examination in VN.
    Use the correct form of the verb given.
    30. Road users _________ by lawto wear quality safety helmets. (force)
    The key:
    Road users are enforced by law to wear quality safety helmets.
    Is it right, please?

  1. FreeToyInside's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 222
    #2

    Re: enforce

    Quote Originally Posted by hoangkha View Post
    Hello!
    Below is a sentence in a 10th grade entrance examination in VN.
    Use the correct form of the verb given.
    30. Road users _________ by lawto wear quality safety helmets. (force)
    The key:
    Road users are enforced by law to wear quality safety helmets.
    Is it right, please?
    That sounds odd to me. I think it sounds best that laws are enforced by people, certain actions are enforced by law, and people are forced by law (to do something).
    So the most natural sounding to me is:

    Road users are forced by law to wear quality safety helmets.
    Wearing quality safety helmets is enforced by law (for all road users).




    (not a teacher, just a language lover)
    Last edited by FreeToyInside; 27-Jul-2013 at 10:10.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,893
    #3

    Re: enforce

    Road users are forced by law to wear ...

    I think that "Road users are required by law to wear ..." is better but I realise that you were required to use "force". As FreeToyInside said, rules and laws are enforced by other people.

    Motorcyclists are required by law to wear a crash helmet. This law is enforced by the traffic police.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    #4

    Re: enforce

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeToyInside View Post
    That sounds odd to me. I think it sounds best that laws are enforced by people, certain actions are enforced by law, and people are forced by law (to do something).
    So the most natural sounding to me is:

    Road users are forced by law to wear quality safety helmets.
    Wearing quality safety helmets is enforced by law (for all road users).




    (not a teacher, just a language lover)
    And then there is the sign I saw on a lonely road between California and Oregon - Speed limit enforced by radar.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #5

    Re: enforce

    "Force" and "enforce" are being treated as the same verb. I find that strange.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,893
    #6

    Re: enforce

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    "Force" and "enforce" are being treated as the same verb. I find that strange.
    Yes, so do I. I hadn't realised until now that "enforced" was the answer given by the exercise book. I thought it was the OP's suggested answer. The book is wrong, in my opinion.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 294
    #7

    Re: enforce

    I have just found the official key. It is "are forced".

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2013, 20:21
  2. to enforce payment?
    By Roadster in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-Sep-2012, 18:59
  3. enforce compliance with the regulations
    By Silverobama in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2011, 08:01
  4. ''hand out'' or ''enforce''?
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Jun-2008, 00:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •