Does knowing more words mean better grasp of the English language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor su

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you.

Well, do you think that knowing more words of Chinese means better grasp of that language?

Last edited:

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Thank you.

I do believe it's the combination of knowing more words and being able to use them appropriately that gives you that better grasp.

People probably wouldn't call you a great speaker of English if you knew a lot of big words but didn't know how to make a coherent sentence with them.

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with FreeToyInside- simply knowing a lot of words does not mean that someone speaks well. Knowing how to use words in context matters. Also, it may be more economical in terms of time and effort to learn the different forms of a word rather than learning a lot of words. Learning lists of words can often be frustrating as the words are quickly forgotten- recycling and practising vocab is important for long-term memory.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'll use myself as an example - my Spanish vocabulary is great! I know hundreds of individual words - nouns, adjectives, infinitives. prepositions. When I take a vocab test online, I pass with flying colours. Can I speak Spanish well? No, I can't. My tenses are all over the place. My verb endings are rubbish. My singular/plural usage is appalling. I use the wrong preposition for the context all the time. I can make myself understood but I do not, by any means, speak good Spanish despite knowing a lot of words.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you.
What do you mean by 'knowing'? And, what does 'knowing a word' mean for that matter?

victor su

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What I mean by "knowing a word" is that it is the opposite of "not knowing a word". When I am reading, a totally new word is a word I don't know. So by knowing more words I would have a less chance to encounter new words, though I do realize knowing or recognizing a word does not mean I would have a perfect understanding of that word or know how to use it properly.

What do you mean by 'knowing'? And, what does 'knowing a word' mean for that matter?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Just like emsr2d2, I'll speak of myself as an example. I can say I can speak/write/understand English pretty decently. However, English (like most languages) is not only made up of words (in the vocabulary sense, not getting into "rules" here), and I find myself lacking fluency in the use of idioms and phrasal verbs. So I can say I know many words (in your intended sense), but I still wish for a better grasp of the English language.

Status
Not open for further replies.