• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

"Moment of Truth"

I don't know why "Moment of Truth" is used for killing a bull. It is said to mean "an important moment", but "truth" doesn't sound like "important". I doubt why "truth" was used originally. What do you think?

125)For fans of bullfighting, the most exciting moment is when the bullfighter pushes his spear into the bull's head. In Spanish, this moment is called the "Moment de la Verdad" or "Moment of Truth" in English. "Moment of Truth(MOT)" is also an important makerting term...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "Moment of Truth"

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    I don't know why "Moment of Truth" is used for killing a bull. It is said to mean "an important moment", but "truth" doesn't sound like "important". I doubt why "truth" was used originally. What do you think?

125)For fans of bullfighting, the most exciting moment is when the bullfighter pushes his spear into the bull's head. In Spanish, this moment is called the "Moment de la Verdad" or "Moment of Truth" in English. "Moment of Truth(MOT)" is also an important makerting term...
    "Moment of truth" means "crucial moment". As far as the bull is concerned, this is accurate. By the way, it would be next to impossible to kill a bull by piercing the head with a sword. It is usually done between the shoulder blades into the chest, rupturing the heart or aorta.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "Moment of Truth"

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post

In Spanish the term is el monento de verda. It is generally thought that this means if the matador has done his job well enough to kill the bull at the time chosen by the matador. If the matador has not worn the bull down physically he will not be able to thrust the sword into the bull good enough for a fast kill. During the time the matador fights with the bull, the bull becomes weaker and weaker due to the exertion. As the bull weakens, his head tends to drop downward, and it is then that the matador will deliver the killing strike. This being said, the "Moment of Truth", relates to how well the matador has performed and if has gaged the strength of the bull correctly. The term "Moment of Truth", can apply to many situations. Take for example the case of an airplane company which has spent two billions dollars on a new plane. The real "Moment of Truth" is when the test pilot takes the new plane up and tests its capabilities.