temporary driver or designated driver or chauffeur service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In Korea, we have many companies providing drivers who actually go to a drunken man's site and drive him or her home, getting paid in cash at the end. I don't think English speaking countries have this service. If you did, what would you call this service among the three below? Or something else?

ex)temporary driver or designated driver or chauffeur service?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Korea, we have many companies providing drivers who actually go to a drunken man's site and drive him or her home, getting paid in cash at the end. I don't think English speaking countries have this service. If you did, what would you call this service among the three below? Or something else?

ex)temporary driver or designated driver or chauffeur service?

In New York, I would call it a taxi or a cab.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
We actually do have these services nowadays. I don't think there is a generally accepted term for them. It is definitely not designated driver. A designated driver is one of a group of friends who volunteers to abstain from alcohol in order to drive his or her friends home legally.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

Companies in Australia which offer this service often advertise themselves as a "designated driver" service, probably because the term is well established and so the specific nature of the service is understood. That is, they go to meet the client and drive them home in the client's vehicle, but they are not a general chauffeuring or taxi company.

Status
Not open for further replies.