Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi My dear colleagues,

What do you do, How do you correct errors when your student make an error?
Which techniques or strategies do you use? Could you give information about it?

Thnx...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi [STRIKE]My[/STRIKE] dear colleagues,

What do you do? How do you correct errors when your student makes [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] errors?
Which techniques or strategies do you use? Could you give me information about it?

[STRIKE]Thnx[/STRIKE] Thanks. [STRIKE]...[/STRIKE]

Welcome to the forum.

You will get different opinions on this. For my part, when doing a formal lesson, I correct immediately the error is made, then I give the correct version and get the student to repeat the correct version at least twice. HOwever, in a conversation class, unless the student makes a really bad error, I let almost everything go in order to allow conversation to flow. It's more important to me that the student becomes comfortable in simply talking out loud.

Note the amendments I made to your post. Please don't use non-standard words or phrases such as "Thnx".

miharb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
i already want to get different ideas, opinions. Thank you for your helping :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
​I [STRIKE]already[/STRIKE] want to get different ideas and opinions. Thank you for [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] helping. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]

Please remember to start every sentence with a capital letter and if you want to use smilies/emoticons, please use the button in the textbox toolbar and choose one from there.

I'm sure you will get different ideas and opinions if you are patient.

Asdherel

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I don't have a lot of experience in teaching but I agree with emsr2d2. I don't like interrupting students while they are talking (if I did, I think they would get nervous). Instead, I prefer to wait till the end of their intervention (or conversation) and then point out the most common or important mistakes.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Also, in conversation, not breaking the flow can allow you to spot repeated or ingrained errors.

ssheridan1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
During conversation exercises, I walk around the class noting errors in speech. At the end of the exercise, I write errors on the board. Surprisingly, the students who made the errors correct them. This allows students to be able to speak freely, and then worry about error correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.