Dependent Clauses (My frustration continues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarab123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello all,
I am here to get some feedback on my latest attempt on dependent vs independent clauses.
I have struggled wit these for some time (as an ESL learner)

The following examples are what I believe is correct. If I can get someone who is experienced with these to give me some feedback I would be very appreciative.
I have identified all of the dependent clauses in each sentence.

1). We are praying he will attempt to run [for mayor] [of our town] [in the next election]. (3)
2). Bill thinks you should run. (0)
3). Give me some [of that ice cold tea] [with lemon chunks]. (2)
4). Running [for the the truck], she fell and bruised her elbow and later went [to the doctor]. (2)
5). Let's go out [for snow cones] [following the game] [if you want to]. (3)
6). I cannot believe what you are telling us is the truth because bill has never been in prison. (0) (2 independent)
Thanks for the support of all,
-Sara B.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello all,
I am here to get some feedback on my latest attempt on dependent vs independent clauses.
I have struggled wit these for some time (as an ESL learner)

The following examples are what I believe is correct. If I can get someone who is experienced with these to give me some feedback I would be very appreciative.
I have identified all of the dependent clauses in each sentence.

1). We are praying he will attempt to run [for mayor] [of our town] [in the next election]. (3)
2). Bill thinks you should run. (0)
3). Give me some [of that ice cold tea] [with lemon chunks]. (2)
4). Running [for the the truck], she fell and bruised her elbow and later went [to the doctor]. (2)
5). Let's go out [for snow cones] [following the game] [if you want to]. (3)
6). I cannot believe what you are telling us is the truth because bill has never been in prison. (0) (2 independent)
Thanks for the support of all,
-Sara B.

I think you need to go back to the beginning. In your analysis, you have picked mostly prepositional phrases and have ignored most of the clauses. A prepositional phrase consists of [preposition] + [noun -- object of the preposition] + [any modifiers of the noun]. These phrases act as modifiers (adjectives or adverbs) of other words. An example would be "in the next election".

A clause must have a subject and a verb. It can have other words, but without those two, it cannot be a clause.

I think you should try again.

sarab123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi and thanks for the clarification.
Here is my updated attempt.

1). We are praying (that) he will attempt to run for mayor of our town in the next election. (1)
2). Bill thinks (that) you should run. (1)
3). Give me some of that ice cold tea with lemon chunks. (0)
4). (Running for the the truck), she fell and bruised her elbow and later went to the doctor. (1)
5). Let's go out for snow cones following the game [if you want to]. (1)
6). I cannot believe [what you are telling us] is the truth [because bill has never been in distress]. (2)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi and thanks for the clarification.
Here is my updated attempt.

1). We are praying (that) he will attempt to run for mayor of our town in the next election. (1)
2). Bill thinks (that) you should run. (1)
3). Give me some of that ice cold tea with lemon chunks. (0)
4). (Running for the the truck), she fell and bruised her elbow and later went to the doctor. (1)
5). Let's go out for snow cones following the game [if you want to]. (1)
6). I cannot believe [what you are telling us] is the truth [because bill has never been in distress]. (2)

This is much better. You are a quick learner. :-D

1. I assume you meant that everything following "that" is a dependent clause. That is correct.
2. I assume you meant that everything following "that" is a dependent clause. That is correct.
3. None. That is correct.
4. No. That phrase may look like a clause, but it does not have a verb. The word "running" is a participle (verbal) that introduces a participial phrase. It acts as an adjective, modifying "she". Verbals do not have a subject, but they can take other elements that a verb could take, such as a direct object or an adverb.
5. Correct.
6. Correct (if you include "is the truth" in the first dependent clause).

sarab123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks again so much,
I was getting phrases confused with clauses. :oops:
It still seems slightly unnatural to me to add "that" into the sentences. I suppose it is necessary to determine whether or not there are any dependent clauses located within the sentence.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks again so much,
I was getting phrases confused with clauses. :oops:
It still seems slightly unnatural to me to add "that" into the sentences. I suppose it is necessary to determine whether or not there are any dependent clauses located within the sentence.

Used as a conjuction, "that" is a function word used to introduce subordinate clauses. Unless it is the subject of the subordinate clause, it can usually be omitted.

sarab123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Ohh, I see. Thank you very much again.
Also, to test my skills, I have displayed a few sentences below and I have identified the dependent clauses in each. Now with your instruction I believe they should be correct (or very close).

1). "I'm going to work hard so I can get a great job". ("so" is a coordinating conjunction, 0 dependent clauses, 2 independent clauses)
2). "I have recycled all of my newspaper from this weekend. (0 dependent clauses)
3). "I hope she will be my best friend." (1 dependent clauses, I inserted "that" in front of "my" to show the start of the dependent clause)
4). "Let's meet on Tuesday mornings." (0 dependent clauses)
5). "I know we can do it." (1 dependent clauses, I inserted "that" in front of "we" to show the start of the dependent clause)
6). "I need to study math equations because I don't understand that." ("because" is a subordinating conjunction, therefore 1 dependent clause).
7). "Can you bring your games with you to our summer party." (0 dependent clauses)

Thanks again!
This should wrap it up!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ohh, I see. Thank you very much again.
Also, to test my skills, I have displayed a few sentences below and I have identified the dependent clauses in each. Now with your instruction I believe they should be correct (or very close).

1). "I'm going to work hard so I can get a great job". ("so" is a coordinating conjunction, 0 dependent clauses, 2 independent clauses)
2). "I have recycled all of my newspaper from this weekend. (0 dependent clauses)
3). "I hope she will be my best friend." (1 dependent clauses, I inserted "that" in front of "she" to show the start of the dependent clause)
4). "Let's meet on Tuesday mornings." (0 dependent clauses)
5). "I know we can do it." (1 dependent clauses, I inserted "that" in front of "we" to show the start of the dependent clause)
6). "I need to study math equations because I don't understand that." ("because" is a subordinating conjunction, therefore 1 dependent clause).
7). "Can you bring your games with you to our summer party." (0 dependent clauses)

Thanks again!
This should wrap it up!

Excellent! Numbers 2 through 7 are correct. Number 1 is a problem. While "so" is often listed as a coordinating conjunction, it is not always a coordinating conjunction. When it has the meaning of "so that" (as is the case in your sentence), it is a subordinating conjunction.

see more here: Coordinating Conjunctions
and here: 25 Subordinating Conjunctions

Last edited:

sarab123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada