• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

hiring a taxi

You know in a taxi four people can get into. What do you say in English if somebody pay the taxi driver the fare for four people when he is just one. We have specific name for that in Persian I wonder if it is the same in English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: hiring a taxi

Quote Originally Posted by skystar30097 View Post
    You know in a taxi four people can get into, what do you say in English if somebody one person pays the taxi driver the fare for four people when he is just one.? We have a specific name for that in Persian, I wonder if it is the same in English.
    "Ripped off" comes to mind.

Honestly no, at least in AE, I've never heard any expression with that meaning. Maybe other speakers here have heard something like that.

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I really don't know what you mean. In British taxis, the fare for the journey is almost the same regardless of whether there is one person or four in the taxi. If one person gets in, a standard charge of about 1.30 is put on the meter at the start of the journey. If four people get in, then that charge is put on multiplied by four (5.20). After that, the meter simply runs based on time and mileage. If one person is in the cab, the fare will be 1.30 + meter fare. If four people are in the cab, the fare will be 5.20 + meter fare. If I were a single person but when I got into the taxi, the driver put on the standing charge for four people, I would get out of the cab immediately and report his/her actions to the taxi company.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Thanks for your good explanation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I really don't know what you mean. In British taxis, the fare for the journey is almost the same regardless of whether there is one person or four in the taxi. If one person gets in, a standard charge of about 1.30 is put on the meter at the start of the journey. If four people get in, then that charge is put on multiplied by four (5.20). After that, the meter simply runs based on time and mileage. If one person is in the cab, the fare will be 1.30 + meter fare. If four people are in the cab, the fare will be 5.20 + meter fare. If I were a single person but when I got into the taxi, the driver put on the standing charge for four people, I would get out of the cab immediately and report his/her actions to the taxi company.
    In New York, there is only one initial charge regardless of the number of people. I believe it is $1.50. The rest is based on distance and waiting time.