• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

to get the ring of her dreams

Is this "to get the ring of her dreams" describing "a fariy tale ending" or "waiting"? It's ambiguous. I mean if it means such a fairy tale where one's dream of getting a ring is realized, but "her" doesn't appear in every fairy tale. It may mean the purpose of modern women, but I'm not sure.

60)Today's modern woman isn't waiting for a fairy tale ending to get the ring of her dreams. As the average age at which a woman gets married continues to climb, women are no longer willing to wait for "the big day" to see some ice on their finger....
    Last edited by keannu; 31-Jul-2013 at 08:19.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: to get the ring of her dreams

You continue to post questions from your low-quality source. I'd like to know what the source is and why you do it.

"Today's modern women isn't waiting for a fairy tale ending to get the ring of her dreams" is obviously incorrect and you know it. Do some basic work. Correct the stupid errors in your source and then maybe I'll try to help you with the rest.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I need to teach students with this material published by an education books company. Do you need more context? Then I will, but I have to go...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I can only assume the writer means that a lot of women are not waiting to get engaged to get a big diamond ring. The "ending" part is a little strange but many women have a "fairy-tale" wedding planned in their head. It starts with a romantic proposal, a huge diamond ring, and ends with a perfect wedding day. However, women still want the big diamond ring but they are getting married later and later in life. Many have decided not to bother waiting for marriage and are, presumably, buying themselves a big diamond ring!

I agree in part with Probus about the materials. Even if you are forced to use them, I hope you are telling your students (and someone who has the authority to change the books) that the grammar is terrible. Ensure your students know that it should be "Today's modern women aren't waiting for a fairytale ending to get the ring of their dreams" (or of course "woman", "isn't" and "her" can be used).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I'm terribly sorry as "woman" was my typo. I understand "ending" is weird", but I don't get what else sounds wrong.
    So my original question is whether the last part describes "fairy tale" or "waiting", but due to ending, maybe you can't determine it, I guess

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    So my original question is whether the last part describes "fairy tale" or "waiting", but due to ending, maybe you can't determine it, I guess
    Why do you think "to get the ring of her dreams" describes either "fairy tale" or "waiting"? To me, your question is meaningless.
    Here's another example:
    "I'm not waiting until Christmas to get the pay you owe me!" Does "to get the pay you owe me" describe 'waiting' or 'Christmas'?
    "I'm not waiting until 10pm to eat." Same question. If you can answer that, you could answer your own.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Is this "to get the ring of her dreams" describing "a fariy tale ending" or "waiting"? It's ambiguous. I mean if it means such a fairy tale where one's dream of getting a ring is realized, but "her" doesn't appear in every fairy tale. It may mean the purpose of modern women, but I'm not sure.

60)Today's modern woman isn't waiting for a fairy tale ending to get the ring of her dreams. As the average age at which a woman gets married continues to climb, women are no longer willing to wait for "the big day" to see some ice on their finger....
    Do you know what a "fairy tale ending" is? It's the end of the story, where the girl gets the prince, they get married and live happily ever after.

The ring is the wedding ring.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Why do you think "to get the ring of her dreams" describes either "fairy tale" or "waiting"? To me, your question is meaningless.
    Here's another example:
    "I'm not waiting until Christmas to get the pay you owe me!" Does "to get the pay you owe me" describe 'waiting' or 'Christmas'?
    "I'm not waiting until 10pm to eat." Same question. If you can answer that, you could answer your own.

Hello.

I think I can understand keannu's confusion.

1. By saying 'Is this "to get the ring of her dreams" describing "a fariy tale ending?"' keannu probably meant:

"a fairy tale ending to get the ring of her dreams" - the words in bold postmodifies 'a fairy tale ending', describing what kind of 'ending' it is, as in:

She needs money to get the ring of her dreams.

2. By saying 'Is this "to get the ring of her dreams" describing "waiting"?' s/he probably intended to mean 'Is this "to get the ring of her dreams" the object of the verb "waiting"?', as in:

I can't wait to see him.

At a glance, the sentence in question seems to use the same construction as:

I can't wait for him to come.
    or
    He is waiting for me to make a mistake.

However, it isn't the same.
    Well, it was MY confusion.
    Last edited by tzfujimino; 31-Jul-2013 at 18:42.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Right! There you go! You got the point of my question. No one seems to have made a clear answer yet, so I'm still in confusion.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The rest of the context given is talking about a woman buying a diamond for herself. So it seems to me that she is not waiting to obtain a ring (from her "prince"), but is buying one for herself.