[Grammar] He has been working/has worked in the same job for thirty years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

naweewra

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hello,

My reference grammar books says that sometimes both the present perfect and the present perfect continuous work in the sentence, "with a slight difference of emphasis". The sad thing is it doesn't say what that "slight difference of emphasis is". Can you help? The sentences given are:

a) Harry has been working the same job for 30 years.
b) Harry has worked the same job for thirty years.

Thank you.

Nawee

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Hello,

My reference grammar books says that sometimes both the present perfect and the present perfect continuous work in the sentence, "with a slight difference of emphasis". The sad thing is it doesn't say what that "slight difference of emphasis is". Can you help? The sentences given are:

Thank you.

Nawee

I would guess that the emphasis they have in mind is that the progressive adds extra stress that he still does the same job, which is already conveyed by the use of the present perfect tense. To me, the difference feels so slight that it may just simply be due to one using the progressive tense and the other not.

That being said, the first sentence is what I would expect to hear most often in AE.

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Asdherel

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello,

Thank you.

Nawee

What I've learnt is that the present perfect continuous form emphasises the duration of time (in your example, 30 years). The present perfect simple tense emphasises the action (work the same job). I hope that helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.