• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

have got/ have gotten

Is 'have got' simply preferred by more speakers or is it the only correct form? I've read somewhere that it should not be used in place of 'have', but I don't use it in that sense anyway. I use 'have gotten' in sentences like "I've gotten tired of doing it every week."

Re: have got/ have gotten

"Have got", to mean the same as "have", is British English and considered informal. Plain old "have" is preferred in formal contexts, and also in America in informal contexts, so it's the safest to use.

Both "got" and "gotten" are past participles of "get", but "got" is British and "gotten" (which is most likely the older form) is American English.

In the sentence "I've gotten tired of doing it every week", "have gotten" is not here being used as a way of saying "have". It describes the process of becoming increasingly tired (there's another thread on this subject). This is perfectly acceptable, standard American English. A Brit would say, "I've got tired of..."

Note that, in both American and British English, the simple past form of "get" is "got":

American English: get, got, gotten
    British English: get, got, got

In American English, "get" follows the same pattern as "forget".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Re: have got/ have gotten

Thank you.