Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jun 2013
    • Posts: 637
    #1

    having quarreled with Walpole, felt keenly the loss of this gifted and congenial.....

    He was educated at Eton, where he made his first intimate friends-Richard West; Thorns Ashton; and Horace Walpole, the son of the prime minister. After a little over four years at Cambridge he left without a degree to make the grand tour of France and Italy as the guest of his friend Walpole. The death of West in 1742 was a depressing event for Gray, who, having quarreled with Walpole, felt keenly the loss of this gifted and congenial friend.

    Source: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Thomas Gray (1716-1771)

    Hello teachers,

    I have some problem understanding the blue part.

    West quarreled with Walpole or Gray quarreled with Walpole? Who quarreled with who?
    Does it mean West quarreled with Walpole and became killed?

    Many thanks in advance.

  2. FreeToyInside's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 222
    #2

    Re: having quarreled with Walpole, felt keenly the loss of this gifted and congenial.

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    He was educated at Eton, where he made his first intimate friends-Richard West; Thorns Ashton; and Horace Walpole, the son of the prime minister. After a little over four years at Cambridge he left without a degree to make the grand tour of France and Italy as the guest of his friend Walpole. The death of West in 1742 was a depressing event for Gray, who, having quarreled with Walpole, felt keenly the loss of this gifted and congenial friend.

    Source: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Thomas Gray (1716-1771)

    Hello teachers,

    I have some problem understanding the blue part.

    West quarreled with Walpole or Gray quarreled with Walpole? Who quarreled with who?
    Does it mean West quarreled with Walpole and became killed?

    Many thanks in advance.
    Gray quarreled with Walpole, and felt depressed over the death of West.

    (not a teacher, just a language lover)

  3. probus's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 3,458
    #3
    Gray had quarrelled with Walpole and therefore they were no longer on friendly terms. So when West died Gray had lost both of his former good friends.

  4. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jun 2013
    • Posts: 637
    #4

    Re: having quarreled with Walpole, felt keenly the loss of this gifted and congenial.

    Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    when West died Gray had lost both of his former good friends.
    But my text says only West died not Walpole. Isn't it?

  5. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jun 2013
    • Posts: 637
    #5

    Re: having quarreled with Walpole, felt keenly the loss of this gifted and congenial.

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeToyInside View Post
    Gray quarreled with Walpole, and felt depressed over the death of West.

    (not a teacher, just a language lover)
    Thanks for answering. I completely understood what it says. But it’s a little funny to me. I mean it doesn’t make good sense to me. Because for example suppose I had a friend named Alex. He died. Now I quarrel with John and remember the loss of Alex.

  6. FreeToyInside's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 222
    #6

    Re: having quarreled with Walpole, felt keenly the loss of this gifted and congenial.

    I can see how this might be interpreted differently by different readers. After reading Probus's response, I see how it can be interpreted that Gray was already saddened by the death of West, and therefore felt more deeply saddened about quarreling with Walpole and losing him as a friend.

    When I first read this, I thought it meant that "the loss of this.. friend" was still referring to the death of West, and that quarreling with Walpole left Gray more sensitive to West's death. I didn't think it was saying that Gray and Walpole were no longer friends as a result of their quarreling.

    English can be quite flexible, and therefore sometimes ambiguous or open to interpretation.

    (not a teacher, just a language lover)

  7. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jun 2013
    • Posts: 637
    #7

    Re: having quarreled with Walpole, felt keenly the loss of this gifted and congenial.

    This is my last question:

    Which one happened first? the death of West or the quarrel of Gray with Walpole?

  8. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #8

    Re: having quarreled with Walpole, felt keenly the loss of this gifted and congenial.

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    This is my last question:

    Which one happened first? the death of West or the quarrel of Gray with Walpole?
    As I read it, the quarrel with Walpole came first.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2011, 10:54
  2. school for gifted children
    By Mehrgan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2011, 13:26
  3. 'a' before loss?
    By new2grammar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-May-2011, 11:19
  4. gifted at/talented
    By minnie2007 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-May-2007, 14:05

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •