• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Post over

I'm always in trouble with the word "over", I just can't understand what this mean. for example in the sentence below can I replace it with "at"?

Methods of measuring the rate of consensate production over a number of short lenght along a tube are introduced.

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: over

Quote Originally Posted by Sepmre View Post
    I'm always in trouble with the word "over", I just can't understand what this mean. for example in the sentence below can I replace it with "at"?

Methods of measuring the rate of consensate production over a number of short lenght along a tube are introduced.

Thanks
    May I assume that "consensate" should be "condensate"? I don't understand "number of short length along a tube".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In this case, the word "over" would mean the same as "encompassing" (you could substitute the word "from" and be mostly correct). You could measure the condensate from a short length of tubing, but it might be misinterpreted that the condensate is coming from the interior of the tube. Using the word over removes the ambiguity/uncertainty of this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Codyroo View Post
    In this case, the word "over" would mean the same as "encompassing" (you could substitute the word "from" and be mostly correct). You could measure the condensate from a short length of tubing, but it might be misinterpreted that the condensate is coming from the interior of the tube. Using the word over removes the ambiguity/uncertainty of this.
    If your interpretation is correct, I assume that "lenght" should be "lengths".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Codyroo View Post
    No, I don't think so. The word "over" doesn't mean that it is the outside of the tube.

They are measuring the condensate produced along a length of tube. They do this for a variety of different lengths. The "over" is referring to the varying lengths. Whether this condensate is inside or outside of the tube is not specified, but I would think it was inside.