Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
By 'special verbs' I mean verbs which behave like 'help' when followed by some other verb. For example: 'It helps negate (sth sth).'
Because there are special verbs, there must be also 'regular verbs'. Regular verbs behave like 'have' in this example: 'You have to do this.' 'Have' is followed by a verb, but 'to' is between the verbs.
So I would really like to know how to figure out when the verb I have to deal with is 'regular' or 'special'. Or maybe should I learn it by heart?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By 'special verbs' I mean verbs which behave like 'help' when followed by some other verb. For example: 'It helps negate (sth sth).'
Because there are special verbs, there must be also 'regular verbs'. Regular verbs behave like 'have' in this example: 'You have to do this.' 'Have' is followed by a verb, but 'to' is between the verbs.
So I would really like to know how to figure out when the verb I have to deal with is 'regular' or 'special'. Or maybe should I learn it by heart?

You are asking about verbs that take a "to infinitive" versus a "bare infinitive". I know of no other way than to listen to the usage of native speakers or memorize lists. There are no rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.