Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi Sir Tdol,
I am not used with your sentence pattern "I have also never heard them used". Which I know of that kind of pattern are "I saw he going" which means a part of action and "I saw he go" which means the whole action. But till now, I haven't seen pattern like yours. Could you please clarify it to me if what kind of pattern it is and how it works?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: corporate

Hi Sir Tdol,
I am not used with your sentence pattern "I have also never heard them used". Which I know of that kind of pattern are "I saw he going" which means a part of action and "I saw he go" which means the whole action. But till now, I haven't seen pattern like yours. Could you please clarify it to me if what kind of pattern it is and how it works?

"I saw he going" and "I saw he go" are both wrong.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Really Sir? Oh no! What we have been taught? Sir then how that kind of sentence work? Suppose; now it's evening. In the morning I saw my brother was going shopping. Now or in the evening, my mom asks me where is your brother? Did you see him? now I answer mom "No but I saw him going/go shopping in the morning" Is it correct sir? Sir why don't you correct my sentence if it's wrong?

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
"I have also never heard them used" stated by Sir Tdol.
Is this the structure of the above sentence ; "I have also never heard them were used/their being used"? I am still very confused.
Also "I saw him going" and "I saw him go". Are these sentences correct? If not, please correct them and let me know what is the wrong and how they should be used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We have told you this several times before - make your thread titles relevant to the content of your post. A good title for this would be "I have also never heard them used".

You must start to listen to the advice you are given on this forum.

Edit: I discovered you had asked this same question in the middle of an unconnected thread. I have now merged all of these so that they are in their own thread. The order of the posts is now a little strange but that's what happens when post duplicates.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Really Sir? Oh no! What we have been taught? Sir then how that kind of sentence work? Suppose; now it's evening. In the morning I saw my brother was going shopping. Now or in the evening, my mom asks me where is your brother? Did you see him? now I answer mom "No but I saw him going/go shopping in the morning" Is it correct sir? Sir why don't you correct my sentence if it's wrong?
Your other examples were "I saw he go" not "I saw him go." The ones with "he" were wrong. You must use the object form of the pronoun.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It means that I have never heard people use them.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I am really sorry. But I really tried my best to use a better title. It's okay. I will use an even more better title because now I got your example. Thanks

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I understood the meaning of your sentence. I just wanted to know the the structure of your sentence. the original structure of "I saw him going" is "I saw his going"; "his going" becomes "him going" as I know.
Your sentence was "I also never have heard them used" so here I just want to know the original structure of your sentence.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
May I ask an additional question? When checking info of the members' of this website, gender is not referred to. So that I get in trouble. I get confused if I should call teachers of here Sir/Madam/Ma'am/Teacher etc. Because for male teachers, we call "Sir" and for female "Madam or teacher". Could I have any solution of this problem. I wish this would help other students like me too.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I get confused if I should call teachers of here Sir/Madam/Ma'am/Teacher etc. Because for male teachers, we call "Sir" and for female "Madam or teacher". Could I have any solution of this problem. I wish this would help other students like me too.

Just use the user name.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I ask an additional question? When checking info of the members' of this website, gender is not referred to. So that I get in trouble. I get confused if I should call teachers of here Sir/Madam/Ma'am/Teacher etc. Because for male teachers, we call "Sir" and for female "Madam or teacher". Could I have any solution of this problem. I wish this would help other students like me too.

There is no need to address as sir or madam. Simply use our names.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I understood the meaning of your sentence. I just wanted to know the the structure of your sentence. the original structure of "I saw him going" is "I saw his going"; "his going" becomes "him going" as I know.
Your sentence was "I also never have heard them used" so here I just want to know the original structure of your sentence.

I don't know what you mean by "original structure."

I have heard them used.
I never have heard them used. <---negation
I also never have heard them used. <-- adding that he concurs with another person's view and is restating it

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There's no need to use Sir/Madam. Just use the person's username. :up:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi Sir Tdol,

Hello, UM Chakma.:-D

I hope this(#5) will clear up some of your confusion.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Thanks all for the help.:)

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
It will be funny If I call you "chicken" or "sandwich".:-D:lol:. I am just joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.