Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
My teacher has advised me not to use "lips" in linguistic studies but she didn't state which instead of lips I must use. So here I have come for you to get a help. Please if someone knows, give me a word for lips, that could be used or fits in linguistic studies.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My teacher has advised me not to use "lips" in linguistic studies but she didn't state which instead of lips I must use. So here I have come for you to get a help. Please if someone knows, give me a word for lips, that could be used or fits in linguistic studies.

Give us an example of "using lips" or what does your teacher suggest..

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Well, the articulators of the consonant sounds like P and B are both the upper lip and the lower lip. Here my teacher advised me that lips are not suitable in linguistic studies. As I remember, she once has said 'bilabial". But bilabial is not a noun. it's an adjective used as "bilabial sounds/alphabets".

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Well, the articulators of the consonant sounds like P and B are both the upper lip and the lower lip. Here my teacher advised me that lips are not suitable in linguistic studies. As I remember, she once has said 'bilabial". But bilabial is not a noun. it's an adjective used as "bilabial sounds/alphabets".

Hello, UK Chakma.:-D

Well, a 'bilabial' is a speech sound made by using both lips. bilabial - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What do you mean by "bilabial alphabets"?

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Actually not bilabial alphabets. I meant bilabial sounds. Look at this sentence "The Articulators of bilabial sounds are both upper and lower lips". Here my techer said that lips are not suitable words. So what do I use?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Actually not bilabial alphabets. I meant bilabial sounds. Look at this sentence "The Articulators of bilabial sounds are both upper and lower lips". Here my techer said that lips are not suitable words. So what do I use?
You could try 'labia' (plural); 'labium' (singular), which is technically correct. Let's know how it goes.
- labium superius oris (upper oral lip) and labium inferius oris (lower oral lip)

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Be careful with your use of "labia" outside pronunciation forums.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I missed the word you gave. About four hours ago, I had a linguistic exam. But just now I saw your word. Oh! by the way. I also checked "labia" in dictionary. It has another meaning; i.e. Folds on the outside of the female sex organs.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I missed the word you gave. About four hours ago, I had a linguistic exam. But just now I saw your word. Oh! by the way. I also checked "labia" in dictionary. It has another meaning; i.e. Folds on the outside of the female sex organs.

Yes, we know that. That is why Barb told you to be careful with its usage outside of pronunciation contexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.