Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I know having said this,I will be counted among your miser friends.

("Having said this" is used as conjunction to mean that I differ from my previous opinion.Here i have used it to mean that if I say so, you will start counting me among your miser friends.)Is my usage of this phrase is correct here??

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know, having said this, [that] I will be counted among your miser friends.

("Having said this" is used as conjunction to mean that I differ from my previous opinion. Here I have used it to mean that if I say so, you will start counting me among your miser friends.) Is my usage of this phrase [strike]is[/strike] correct here?

Note the amendments I have made to your post. Remember to put a space after every comma, full stop, question mark and exclamation mark.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement that "Having said this" (note that in BrE, it's normally "Having said that") means "I differ from my previous opinion". It means more that what you are about to say might not fit entirely with what you just said. For example "I love all soup. Having said that, the soup we had at the restaurant last night was horrible!" As you can see, I haven't changed my opinion but the fact that I didn't like last night's soup does make my first statement clearly not entirely true.

As far as your example goes, you have used it correctly for your context. Whatever it is that you said just before the sentence you quoted will cause the listener to now count you among his/her miser friends.

sdpegasus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks a lot :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot. [strike]:)[/strike]

Please end a sentence with a full stop (or question mark or exclamation mark where appropriate). If you want to use a smiley, click on the smiley icon in the toolbar and pick the one you want.

In addition, there is no need to make a new post to say "Thank you". Just click on the Like button on a post you found helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.