Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi teachers,

What does the following sentence mean?

"heaping helping of pain"

The whole sentence is:
"In fact, given the heaping helping of pain, bad manners, and bum luck in the world, many deists think he/she/it doesn’t even know humans are here at all."

Actually, that is part of sentence.
Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,

The whole sentence is:
"In fact, given the heaping helping of pain, bad manners, and bum luck in the world, many deists think he/she/it doesn’t even know humans are here at all."

Actually, that is part of the sentence.
Thank you.

I find "heaping" unnatural there. A "helping of pain, bad manners and bum luck" makes sense - a helping is a serving, used in the same way as it is with food. "Did you have one helping of dessert or two?"

I would have understood it if it had been a "huge/massive/gigantic/gargantuan/enormous/overwhelming helping of pain" but for me "heaping" is not an adjective and that is what should appear before "helping of pain".

The only possible meaning I can come up with is "growing" - ie the amount of pain in the world is getting bigger all the time.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teachers,

The whole sentence is:

Actually, that is part of sentence.
Thank you

I agree with emsr that the word "heaping" is probably not the best word, but I can't say that it is wrong. As with a heaping spoonful of something, it creates the idea of full, overfull, and possibly overflowing.

see heap here: heaping - definition of heaping by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's the first time I've encountered "heapful" used in that way. In BrE, it would be a "heaped spoon[ful]".

Just when I think my rate of learning the differences in our common language is slowing down, I learn of another. It's definitely "heaping spoonful" here, but now I know not to "correct" "heaped."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.