Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Jun 2013
    • Posts: 46
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    stood right

    Then came the night of 14 April. The sky was clear and the sea was calm. Many of the passengers were asleep. Captain Smith knew there were icebergs nearby, so he told a man to keep watch from the top of the ship. Suddenly, at 11.40 p.m., the man saw something. He grew cold with fear. A huge iceberg stood right in the path of the Titanic.

    Does "stood right" in the this context mean "A huge iceberg stood in the right side of the Titanic's path" ?

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: stood right

    Quote Originally Posted by shb27 View Post
    Then came the night of 14 April. The sky was clear and the sea was calm. Many of the passengers were asleep. Captain Smith knew there were icebergs nearby, so he told a man to keep watch from the top of the ship. Suddenly, at 11.40 p.m., the man saw something. He grew cold with fear. A huge iceberg stood right in the path of the Titanic.

    Does "stood right" in the this context mean "A huge iceberg stood in the right side of the Titanic's path" ?
    No, it means the iceberg was directly in the path of the ship.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Jun 2013
    • Posts: 46
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: stood right

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    No, it means the iceberg was directly in the path of the ship.
    So, It means directly, completely or exactly. And it's used for emphasis, isn't it?

  2. dsank0's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jul 2013
    • Posts: 17
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: stood right

    Quote Originally Posted by shb27 View Post
    So, It means directly, completely or exactly. And it's used for emphasis, isn't it?
    Yeah, for emphasis. Like phrase "Right here, right now".

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 34,265
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: stood right

    If something is "right in front of you" it means "directly in front", "straight ahead", "dead ahead".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Similar Threads

  1. everyone else stood in the yard?
    By keannu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2011, 06:44
  2. wouldnt have stood for it / straw
    By saramehr in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2010, 13:35
  3. Being stood up
    By greenisgood in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2009, 19:59
  4. time stood still
    By naiple in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Oct-2008, 03:26
  5. stood to benefit
    By XINLAI-UE in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2008, 16:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •