Where are you going? vs I want to know where you are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Where are you going?

I want to know where you are going.

Is the above a case of subject-verb inversion? And could someone give me more examples?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Could someone please help? Thanks.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Where are you going?

Is the above a case of subject-verb inversion? Yes, as is the case with most questions. And could someone give me more examples? I just highlighted one for you :up:

Thanks.

charliedeut

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Where are you going?

Is the above a case of subject-verb inversion? And could someone give me more examples?

Yes, it is. We use inversion when a direct question is converted to an indirect one.

'How old is he?'

'Do you know how old he is?'

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
NOT A TEACHER

I personally do not understand why sometimes we do not get answers here. Is there anything wrong with our questions or have we asked kind of unrelated questions? At least we must be said that your question is not
Okay or unrelated, then we may try another. This is not a complaint. I just stated what I felt in myself. Tan Elaine! I saw you post was just hanging on with no response since yesterday.:cry:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I personally do not understand why sometimes we do not get answers here.

We are all volunteers with lives beyond this forum. If you want quicker answers you can find sites where you can pay for them.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Besides, expecting rapid answers in a weekend is not realistic either, IMO.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
NOT A TEACHER

I personally do not understand why sometimes we do not get answers here. Is there anything wrong with our questions or have we asked kind of unrelated questions? At least we must be said that your question is not
Okay or unrelated, then we may try another. This is not a complaint. I just stated what I felt in myself. Tan Elaine! I saw you post was just hanging on with no response since yesterday.:cry:

Your lack of patience is not doing you any favours UM Chakma. The reason that sometimes posts don't get any responses, as Rover said, is that we are volunteers. This is what we do in our spare time. It is not our job. We are under no obligation to answer anything. We have to go to work, eat, sleep, shop, deal with our families and lots more. Quite honestly, sometimes it's surprising that we manage to write as many responses as we do. Sometimes questions are so badly worded that it would take so long to work out what the meaning is, that it's quicker for us to move on to a question that we can answer. Usually, even a badly-worded question will get a response eventually, even if it is only to say "Please try to ask your question again using different words".

As Rover said, if you want people to work to your timetable, then there are sites where you can pay for help. And as Charliedeut just said, the weekends are much quieter on the forum anyway. A post made on a Saturday or a Sunday might well not get a response until Monday.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Did I disappoint all of you? If so, I apologize to all of you. From now on, I will have much more patience. I swear it. Please do not mind. It is appreciated and much worthier rather than anything that you are sharing your knowledge with us.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I agree that the volunteers who answer questions are busy. That's why we should be patient.

What I did when I did not get a response after one day is by saying "Could someone please help? Thanks." We must be polite, not demanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.